Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #1

Install Powermax Boondocker

Hello, I'm changing the old converter on my rv. The Boondocker didn't come with instructions, so I'm having a couple of issues

First, how does wiring connect to the battery to charge?

Second, what size wire to use? I have 4 group 27s in parallel with 2/0 cable.

I'm using 4 awg for the power and ground cables. The power goes to a terminal and then to a 120 amp breaker. There's also another wire that goes on a solenoid.

Can I just run a cable from breaker to positive battery terminal and be done? And is the 4 awg ok to use, or go with the 2/0?

Thanks,
Chris
crockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Install Powermax Boondocker

How many amps can your converter/charger put out ? That would determine the wire size needed.

Here is a link to an installation guide....see if it covers the model you purchased.

http://host.aws60.com/~powerma84jsdo...tageManual.pdf
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

100 amps.. I'm using 4 awg for power and ground. Chris
Old 01-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Pasdad1, thanks for your reply. I read the guide , and it doesn't say anything about where to install charging wires. It just says use 8 awg min wire . Thank you, Chris
Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockwood View Post
Pasdad1, thanks for your reply. I read the guide , and it doesn't say anything about where to install charging wires. It just says use 8 awg min wire . Thank you, Chris

Looks to me the part circled in read designates the wiring that goes to the batteries from the converter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451843451.064374.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	115597
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #6

Pasdad1, thanks for your reply. The way I read it is the front terminals on converter go to pos and neg connection. The pos for the old converter is a pos terminal connection, not the battery. And the negative goes to the left of the connection on the frame. I'm gonna call powermax on Monday and see what they say. Thank you, Chris

Tags
install, power