Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Installed ARP control on Norcold

Just installed the V.2 ARP yesterday on my n811 Norcold. Had an issue with it and I left my phone at home so I could troubleshoot it. It had OPn on display in my mind that told me something was open. Got home and looked it up and that what is was on the boiler temp sensor. I had a bad crimp and so did the sensor so cut it off and solider it and works like a champ.
Boiler tube pic
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462218139.429098.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	125832
Very easy install on this.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462218237.667787.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	125833
Installed control box on wall

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462218278.018454.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	125834
Got the optional blower motor and they wanted it mounted on fresh air intake so I used double tap and was ok but top didn't want to stay on so I installed 3 screws to god it in place. The screws were perfect because you really can't see them.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462218503.934567.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	125835
A little of white paint and the part you see will be gone. I had to talk to the many factor on the temp sensor for the fan because I couldn't find it. Well to find out it was there but it looks like a terminal lug. I used aircraft safety wire wrapped around it and the tube. Worked great.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've GOT to get mine installed!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have ARP control on my Norcold fridge in my Vista, very good investment to make sure that the corrosion in the boiler section does not occur. ARP is patented and shuts off the heat source BEFORE the temperature is reached that causes corrosion to occur, this is all explained well on the ARP Refrigerator Control youtube videos.

You may want to consider using the C-L control mode to fine tune the protection point of your control. I found that the default C-H control mode was not providing the protection point I wanted on my fridge, it was quite a bit higher than the highest normal temp the fridge made when operating level. The C-L control mode lets you set the protection point a few degrees higher than the hottest normal temp the ARP control measures with the fridge level with it's boiler temp probe.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #4

I posted this info on another thread but it is good to do it again. I installed the ARP with fan control on my trailer about a year and a half ago. I wired the Fridge Fix interior fan to the fan control and it runs the fan inside on when the fridge is cooling. You don't need it to run otherwise. I also added two Corsair computer fans under the top vent to improve the flow of heat out of the upper vent. They are very quiet and you can't hear them. Made a custom mount for them and it is probably the best mod after the ARP. These fans are also wired into the fan control and they run only when coolant is being produced also. In 100+ weather I never have my fridge set at over 5. I had an initial problem with electrical interference and several calls to Paul, the owner of ARP, solved the issue. Anyone with a freon fridge needs this unit.
MShappycampers, get that unit installed, you've had it for awhile!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I have ARP control on my Norcold fridge in my Vista, very good investment to make sure that the corrosion in the boiler section does not occur. ARP is patented and shuts off the heat source BEFORE the temperature is reached that causes corrosion to occur, this is all explained well on the ARP Refrigerator Control youtube videos.

You may want to consider using the C-L control mode to fine tune the protection point of your control. I found that the default C-H control mode was not providing the protection point I wanted on my fridge, it was quite a bit higher than the highest normal temp the fridge made when operating level. The C-L control mode lets you set the protection point a few degrees higher than the hottest normal temp the ARP control measures with the fridge level with it's boiler temp probe.

I will look into the setup on it. We just turned the unit back on so I need it to get cold inside.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I posted this info on another thread but it is good to do it again. I installed the ARP with fan control on my trailer about a year and a half ago. I wired the Fridge Fix interior fan to the fan control and it runs the fan inside on when the fridge is cooling. You don't need it to run otherwise. I also added two Corsair computer fans under the top vent to improve the flow of heat out of the upper vent. They are very quiet and you can't hear them. Made a custom mount for them and it is probably the best mod after the ARP. These fans are also wired into the fan control and they run only when coolant is being produced also. In 100+ weather I never have my fridge set at over 5. I had an initial problem with electrical interference and several calls to Paul, the owner of ARP, solved the issue. Anyone with a freon fridge needs this unit.
MShappycampers, get that unit installed, you've had it for awhile!
Guilty as charged!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
. Anyone with a freon fridge needs this unit.

Freon

Absorption Fridge uses Ammonia, Water, Hydrogen Gas and Sodium Chromate Solution in cooling unit.

No Freon
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

I installed the ARP control on a Norcold 1210 about 6 months ago and would never be without one. Previously had problems with fridge temps fluctuating and after install on ARP temps stay more consistent and only need to keep the fridge set at 4 or 5. My unit is in a slide out with a side vent so installed both intake and exhaust fans and I think that this makes the biggest difference.

Since we dry camp most times having a residential fridge was not really an option and the ARP unit gives peace of mind that the potential for fridge boiler to overheat is prtty much eliminated.

Just last week we were on hookups, been a while since plugging in fridge is almost always on gas, and kept getting Li-Op code. Went to look at the boiler temp via ARP and was showing 215, it is about 180 on gas. The Norcold recall kit did not have a the light on so it proved the ARP was doing it's job and shutting down fridge before it overheated.

Couple of quick emails to Paul at ARP to help diagnose problems and with the info I provided to him he said it was probably the electric heating element and provided a way to test it. Turn out this was the problem. Ordered a replacement and swap out is pretty easy. I think without ARP installed it may have taken a lot more to diagnose and maybe even a trip to RV repair shop

Just wanted to give my experience and satisfaction and the excellent customer service provided. I feel these units give you a lot more information on the operation of the fridge and are the best option out there for safety and longevity.

I highly recommend Paul and his product.

No association with the company just a completely satisfied user.
On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Freon

Absorption Fridge uses Ammonia, Water, Hydrogen Gas and Sodium Chromate Solution in cooling unit.

No Freon
I don't know why I said freon. Must be early onset of dementia!
Good catch.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
The ARP is doing better then I thought it would. The fan comes on and moves the air pretty good. My wife has it set at 3 and the temp is -2 freezer and 35 fridge side. Not bad for a 13 yo unit.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
The ARP is doing better then I thought it would. The fan comes on and moves the air pretty good. My wife has it set at 3 and the temp is -2 freezer and 35 fridge side. Not bad for a 13 yo unit.

Yup! Another happy camper!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I installed the ARP with fan control on my trailer about a year and a half ago.
I also added two Corsair computer fans under the top vent to improve the flow of heat out of the upper vent.
The ARP 2 fan unit looks like the best approach. My Noricold fridge vents to the roof and as per ARP the second fan needs to go higher and requires the fridge to be moved out for access. Not something i think i want to do.

How difficult is it to move?

Any other ideas appreciated.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #13

What year and models of Norcold benefit or need this device?

Our Norcold unit is brand new.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
What year and models of Norcold benefit or need this device?

Our Norcold unit is brand new.

I'd say all of them. Mine is a 2012 double door unit and I installed the ARP unit on mine after the factory over limit switch opened up and refused to reset. Read the theory of operation on the ARP and you'll understand what a well thought out safety device this is.

Tags
install, led, norcold