Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Installed "hot-rod" in 6gal Atwood over the weekend

This was a VERY easy install in my Bounder 39z and I would be glad to share details with anyone contemplating adding electric hot water. I took a shower and did not run out of hot water, not bad at all!

The irony is that once complete the gas system suddenly works again also! Now I can have it both ways if needed, gas or electric. I suppose I could run both at the same time when the Wife needs a shower!

Still working out the bugs so I can get on the road more often!

Ted
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
hot rod installation

hello,
i am interested in some details installing the hot rod in your atwood boiler.

is this an installable upgrade or did you change the whole boiler ?

does the hot rod replace the drain plug ?

all help much appreciated

thank you
steve1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

ramblerman, do you have a switch to turn off your propane to your hotwater tank? That will stop the propane from firing up.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have installed the same system on my hot water heater, its simple you take the drain plug out and install the hot rod in the drain plug hole with supplied attachments, connect the wires to a plug in the rv and done, i went the extra step to adding a switch, just a regular 20amp light switch and connected the wires directly to it, i did that so when the switch is glowing red we know the electric water heater is on, other than that just needed to cut some of the foam insulation off the tank to stick the thermostat on it, everything works fine and i am so happy that i am not using a ton of propain especally when the hot water is just in storage mode during the day. any questions you can message me and will help out, only issue is that the dealer told me if i do this it will void the warrinty on the water heater but if the heater fails i can get one that has the electric heater built into it now that the wires have been run so no big issue for me
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

STEVE1200

This is an ad-on that requires installation of a rod in the drain hole, then a plug goes from that to a thermostat that mounts on the rear of the tank, then it simply plugs in to a regular outlet. I would be glad to give any details over the phone if you wish. I do not mind posting my daytime number which is 610-559-8180
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

CorLynn

Yes, the switch always worked fine for the propane. The unit would fire but not stay on for very long and then shut off. I know it is probably the thermactor (not sure of technical name). I had the hot rod kit in a drawer, having the propane issue made me motivated to get the hot-rod installed
Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

jimbooth25

good idea on the light switch. Since my Bounder is only a 30a service, my theory was to run a heavy duty extension cord to one of those 2 'extra' outlets at the campground service panel so as not to 'tax' my system!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got done adding one to my camper as well. I am also using 30 amp service so I did not want to over load the camper just in case. I am running mine to the service panel at the camp grounds. A little more trouble but worth it for me. I have not had a chance to see how well it works but fixing to try it out in a few weeks.
larry08i12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
hot rod

sounds like a good idea, all i have to do is get one in the UK without paying double price for it !

we are just trying to make our first RV as good as we can

thanks for the help
steve1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run the power cord to an exterior 120v outlet for my hot-rod. Works great, but would like to set it up like jimbooth25 did with a lighted light switch, but I don't see a way to wire it into the RV from outside the water heater.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when i did mine on my mirada, the how water tank is under the bed the closest out let was the night stand, i had to relocat the outlets beacuse i wasn't comfertable enought with the ones from the factory that were right against the matress of the bed so i moved them to the front of the night stands and drilled a hole fron the water heater housing on the corner of it just above the gas line and ran the wires into my unit that way i have the wires wraped in a plastic sheath through the hole so they wont get cut or torn and then cualked everything closed so no fumes will get in to the unit, on the inside i drilled a hole fom the bottom side of the night stand to the conpartment of the water heater and ran the wire throught that hole, i put a double sided outlet box on the front of that night stand and one side is the plug the other a lighted light switch, i connected the white wires together in the box and the grounds also from the switch,plug, and hotrod to the ground from the coach, i then have a hot wire(blk) from the outlet to the switch and conected to the other terminal of switch the hot wire(blk) to the hot rod, note i did cut the plug off of the wire kit to the hot rod to do this. I have been using mine noe for two months or say two long weekends each month have had no issue with it, my bedroom outlets are on their own ceircet in the couch and the only thing i use thouse outlets for is to charge things like my cell phone whial sleeping so i shouldnt have a issue with over loading them, my coach is 30 amp also, i have had the /c running and using things like i normally will have have had no issues, the first time of use i was a little scared so i would reach into the night stand and touch the wires to check for heat but there was none, i have talked to others at the camp i go to that have had theirs put in at the shops and they are bassically ran the same way as ine is except instead of a light switch they have a toggle switch that lights up but its the same thing just costed them more.
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm pretty sure I'm going to try this installation. At the RV resort that we are moving into in late July supplies the electricity as well for the monthly fee, so I might as well let them heat my hot water! I'm either going to direct wire the hot rod from my RV (find an outlet near the hot water heater which is just next to the master bed) or direct wire it to the RV park power plug at the post. What ever I do, I will put a switch on it so I can turn it off/on. I don't know what it will cost to heat my hot water with LP gas on a full time basis, but I might as well get it included with my monthly space rental by hooking my hot water tank up to elec. I'll keep you all posted.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Hott Rod has been in service for over a year and is well worth the money and time to put it in. I didn't like original heater as water was too hot to use just for a quick hand wash without adding cold water. Now we turn elec. water heater on every time as part of "getting setup routine." The only time we fire up gas is if we both are taking showers. So far I think it was our best aftermarket add-on.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood