Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #15

However you do it, be sure to consider maintenance. I can't even change spark plugs in our Flair without moving (lowering?) the gen in order to have enough room to access them. I'm planning to make some changes to correct that.

IMHO, there is nothing like having a gen built into your RV, especially if you boondock as much as we do.

Just my 2c.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Mike, I used to own a 5th wheel that had a non-transfer switch transfer switch.
At the rear of the trailer was the cord storage compartment. The regular power cord had a plug on it and there was an electrical box with a receptacle that matched the power cord. There was another short power cord that was fed from the generator. If you were hooked up to shore power, you just plugged in the shore power cord into the receptacle, if you wanted to run the generator, you just unplugged the shore power cord and plugged in the generator cord into the same receptacle. Impossible to plug both cords into the same receptacle at the same time. A transfer switch does the exact same thing.

Your 'converter' takes 120vac and makes it into 12vdc for the lights in your trailer. If you are not on shore power, the 12vdc comes from your batteries. Do you have a battery disconnect switch (usually big, round and red) somewhere? try not to confuse your 'converter' with an 'inverter'.
I lived off line for 22 years and I used this method to run my Ranch having one plug for each generator and only one plug for the rig takes away the risk of plugging two sources into one you can only plug one in at a time I never had a transfer switch either I had for female sources one male Source I simply pulled out of one and plugged into another always worked no problems

Old 04-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod young View Post
I lived off line for 22 years and I used this method to run my Ranch having one plug for each generator and only one plug for the rig takes away the risk of plugging two sources into one you can only plug one in at a time I never had a transfer switch either I had for female sources one male Source I simply pulled out of one and plugged into another always worked no problems
Livin offline for 22 years I learned it from www.home power magazine.com had a lot to offer many inventions by many people who live off line they are the true sources of living offline when you get into ww.home power.com system you will be able to find out more things ever possible, things like crossing your your inverter wires to cut down on FM frequency and many things that we just didn't know ,over equalizing your batteries, they are the true innovators and always have been of offline living, home power magazine and the people that go along with it are true source of living off line ,even if it is temporary, I throw this out there to those who are interested this is a great source this is how I lived off line for 22 years gracefully ,Rod Young ,17 foot desert fox toy hauler
Old 04-28-2017, 01:19 AM   #18

My '88 Itasca had no transfer switch. There was a receptacle in the cord box that was wired to the generator. The 30a power cord was plugged into the receptacle normally. If you wanted to plug into shore power I removed the 30a cord plug from the generator receptacle and plugged it into the post.
With the 30a cord plugged into the receptacle from the generator I could use the front remote start switch and fire up the generator to power the roof air. I left the roof air switch on in the summer here in AZ to help out the dash air and to cool the cat cat that usually was riding on the bed in the back.

Tags
generator, install