Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #1

I have an intel 9100 converter output is 13.5 volts with battery disconnected. When I turn on the Fridge voltage drops to about 6 volts. Is this normal or should the converter adjust and bring the voltage back up to 13.5 volts. Fridge seams to work with battery connected, but I think my battery is discharging, and the converter is not keeping it up. Is there a way to test the converter under a load or have I already done this? Do I need a new converter?
Please Help
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #2

I have an intel 9100 converter output is 13.5 volts with battery disconnected. When I turn on the Fridge voltage drops to about 6 volts. Is this normal or should the converter adjust and bring the voltage back up to 13.5 volts. Fridge seams to work with battery connected, but I think my battery is discharging, and the converter is not keeping it up. Is there a way to test the converter under a load or have I already done this? Do I need a new converter?
Please Help
Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #3

tadams, disconnect shore power, hook your converter back up to the batteries, turn your coach power switch on, and measure voltage at the battery terminals. Then plug back into 110vac shore power and measure voltage at the battery terminals again. Your converter is working if you read anything above 13 volts.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:47 AM   #4

Sorry, I should have told that this is in a 27' 5th wheel 2001 Prowler Lynx
Old 05-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #5

Well, I ordered a new converter after my original post. It came yesterday, and I install it last night. Now all is well, looks like the converter should NOT drop voltage when the fridge is turned on. Now the battery is charging as it is supposed to etc. I also got a great price on a new 40 amp PD9140A (inc ludes charge wizard) from www.Bestconverter.com 179.95 no shipping charges.