Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Intellitec ECC update or replacement?

I'm trying to complete the redo of my 97 Fleetwood Southwind. I have to move the climate control and really didn't work the best anyway. Works fine on hot days when the AC has to run all the time but other than that. I have new thermisters for it so that may help but I'd prefer to just replace it with something like a digital control or control for each AC unit. Does anymake an affordable upgrade. Or if any DIY guys know how it's ran. Looking at the wiring diagram I assumed it was just a resistance ladder similar to a car's steering wheel controls where each setting sends a different resistance to the controller. Testing it for resistance though didn't change the signal much. If there's no easy replacement I was thinking about building my own signal controller using two digital and an arduino.
brusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
I'm trying to complete the redo of my 97 Fleetwood Southwind. I have to move the climate control and really didn't work the best anyway. Works fine on hot days when the AC has to run all the time but other than that. I have new thermisters for it so that may help but I'd prefer to just replace it with something like a digital control or control for each AC unit. Does anymake an affordable upgrade. Or if any DIY guys know how it's ran. Looking at the wiring diagram I assumed it was just a resistance ladder similar to a car's steering wheel controls where each setting sends a different resistance to the controller. Testing it for resistance though didn't change the signal much. If there's no easy replacement I was thinking about building my own signal controller using two digital and an arduino.

If you do find anything or decide to build one, consider building two - I'll buy your second one from you.

Even with a 50 amp conversion, we still have the intellitec controlling the air conditioners because we couldn't find a way to eliminate them. We now have enough power to turn both units on at the same time, but because we have the infernal intellitec controller in the loop I cannot get the front AC compressor to turn on without at least having the rear unit fan on first. In other words I cannot turn on the front AC unit alone. We can turn on the rear AC unit alone, but not the front. Its not a huge problem, just an annoyance, but if intellitec has an upgrade please tell us.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret60sp View Post
Even with a 50 amp conversion, we still have the intellitec controlling the air conditioners because we couldn't find a way to eliminate them. We now have enough power to turn both units on at the same time, but because we have the infernal intellitec controller in the loop I cannot get the front AC compressor to turn on without at least having the rear unit fan on first. In other words I cannot turn on the front AC unit alone. We can turn on the rear AC unit alone, but not the front. Its not a huge problem.
I don't know why they would need an Intellitec EMS on a 50 amp service. It's designed for a 30 amp system. The Intellitec protects the compressors from a power outage. When the power comes back on, the Intellitec EMS has a current sensor, one (1), which is looking for at least one amp draw for three minutes, in this case the rear AC fan, before it will energize the compressors. It sounds your Intellitec current sensor is on the one side of the 50 amp supply that feeds the rear AC. Thr front AC's current is not being detected by the EMC. This is why the rear needs to be on in order to start the front AC.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
I wondered why the AC fans never turned off which were controlled by the Intellitec controller. It turns out the compressors turn off at the set point however, the fans run until the temp gets approx two degrees below set point.?$# How will it get below set point with the compressors off?

So I added an inexpensive home digital thermostat as the master temp controller and kept the Intellitec as basically a fancy switch with the shedding function intact.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/quest...ml#post2957373

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/cole...ml#post4040237
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the system prototyped and code written for the Arduino, but am now re-working it for a Raspberry Pi..

Heres what I have now. Still working on it:

Furnace / AC controller replacement for Intellitec ECC – 1999 Southwind 35S

The Raspberry system will show a similiar display on 7 inch screen, it will also display date, time, and I'm working to incorporate an alarm clock .. This is being written in Visual C, then runs under mono on the Raspberry. Stay tuned...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaiterECC_1_800.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	264245   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaiterECC_3_800.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	264246  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags