Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

Intellitec EMS gave up?

The Intellitec model 900 in my 2005 Bounder has stopped working. Yesterday while I was hooked up to 50 amp shore power the display began to show random segments and it shut off my water heater and refrigerator. I've checked the 3 amp fuse on the circuit board as well as a 5 amp external fuse and they are good. I have also tried disconnecting all power (shore power as well as battery disconnects) for a couple of minutes in the hopes a reset might bring it back, but no go.

Since I'm currently hooked up to 50 amps I was able to solve my immediate problem by bypassing EMS control of the water heater and refrigerated circuits, but I'd like to get it working again.

Has anyone had experience sending the main circuit board in (somewhere?) to be fixed? How did it go? Is it pricey? Is there another approach I should be taking to get this resolved?
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
here's a post that is similar.. I didn't read it in it's entirety .
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
and another
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/probl...ems-50796.html
Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
actually, this google search is full of similar problems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inte..._AUIBygA&dpr=1
Old 07-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
actually, this google search is full of similar problems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inte..._AUIBygA&dpr=1

Plasma,

Thanks for your help with the search. I had done a Google search before posting but was unable to find reference to symptoms which matched up to mine. I still haven't, although it wouldn't surprise me if there is one buried somewhere.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
yeah, you never know... I'm sorry that first link didn't seem to post... it sounded very similar, but I have no idea if there was a solution in there.

But it certainly seems you are not alone with issues on that unit.

Hoping someone with some more first hand knowledge comes along.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #7

Update - I have spoken with the Intellitec tech support line and they have suggested I try to reset the system. I had tried that already, but I did it by removing shore power and cutting off the batteries. Intellitec suggests a more rigorous approach, disconnecting shore power and removing all connectors on the circuit board, then waiting 15 minutes before turning it back on. I'll give that a try next weekend when I'm back at the MH.

In the meantime, as I mentioned, I have hotwired all the circuits ,since the malfunctioning unit wouldn't let my water heater or refrigerated work on AC. I noticed an interesting thing when I was performing that operation. Someone had previously bypassed the circuits for the air conditioners, so I guess there has been some sort of previous trouble, maybe with their relays.

Charlie
Old 07-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had an older version of the Intellitec EMS, I believe it was the 750 model.

Anyway, mine essentially did the same thing. I tried everything including a reset, nothing worked. I bypassed mine until I got a chance to call M&M Electronics. They went through everything I had done and the symptoms and said my board was bad so I had to replace. The one I had was obsolete so I had to upgrade to the next version which required a new board, load monitor, and 2 wiring harnesses. Got it installed and it has worked fine ever since.

BTW, I suspect that a lightening strick on the pole that feeds the house fried my circuit board (also lost a TV in the house). Since then I have installed a Progressive Industries HW50C surge protector, should have done that years ago.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
Update - I noticed an interesting thing when I was performing that operation. Someone had previously bypassed the circuits for the air conditioners, so I guess there has been some sort of previous trouble, maybe with their relays.
Charlie
The air conditioner circuits were probably NOT previously bypassed. They are usually controlled by the EMS, through the EMS relay interface to the 12V relays in the air conditioners, rather than simply interrupting the 120vac from the breakers as they do with the fridge and other appliances.

You won't see the air conditioners fed through the EMS controlled 120V paths.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My EMS feeds the 120 volts to the AC units but it is an older version.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My EMS feeds the 120 volts to the AC units but it is an older version.
If you consider the EMS as an integral part of the main breaker panel, then they all feed 120vac to the loads (including the air conds.)

My point was that the Intellitec EMS units (at least the 800/900 series) do NOT interrupt the 120 to the air conditioners, but do interrupt the 12V signals that control the compressors but not those that control the fans.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
If you consider the EMS as an integral part of the main breaker panel, then they all feed 120vac to the loads (including the air conds.)

My point was that the Intellitec EMS units (at least the 800/900 series) do NOT interrupt the 120 to the air conditioners, but do interrupt the 12V signals that control the compressors but not those that control the fans.

I had determined that they had been bypassed because the 120v leads to the A/Cs were tied directly to the hot leads from the breakers on the EMS relay board. The screws were loose on the switched connection sides and it looked like the wires had simply been moved to the hot side (this is exactly what I did for the refrigerator and water heater circuits). The tech I spoke with mentioned that this work-around is employed sometimes since the heavy loads from the A/C units can burn up the relay contacts more quickly than the lower current ones.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Old Bounder

Like I said, it may be this way on your's and newer EMS systems but on mine the 120 volts goes through the EMS. I bypassed mine when the board went bad to have AC but put it back as it was when I put a new board in. They did not give me the option of interrupting the 12 volt signal. I can understand why they do this but that's not how mine works.

One size does not fit all.

Tags
ems, intellitec