Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbrain View Post
For the price of pink antifreeze I just buy 18 gallons and pump it into my water tank. I run everything till the entire rv is running pink. Shower, washer,dryer.hot water heater..everything .. I take No chances of freezing for me here in North Dakota.
Never had a problem. Ever

Wow-even the hot water heater! That's the first I've read of anyone putting antifreeze in their hot water tank.

Well...North Dakota does get a wee bit cold!! Guess it can't hurt!!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 AM   #16

The problem I found is, if filling the water heater with anti freeze, is getting it flushed out in the spring.

The pipes clear quickly but the heater just keeps mixing and slowly diluting.

Hey, to each his own.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:10 AM   #17
IC2

I can't imagine putting 18 gallons of that pink stuff in any RV. Most if not all newer RVs now come with a winterization valve and port. The HW heater is bypassed as is the potable tank. This arrangement sucks the pink stuff through the pump and into all of the units water lines. If it doesn't have that arrangement, you can buy and install an aftermarket one for about 15-20 bucks. It wont hurt a thing if there are a few ounces of water left in the HW heater or potable tank. I blow ours out for 10-15 minutes at 30-40 psig then use about 1.5 gallons to do our 5er. A big MH or a two bathroom 5er might take a bit more.

Just the thought of tasting that pink crud for many days in the spring since it's virtually impossible to flush the potable tank completely makes me gag - bleeehhhh.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbrain View Post
For the price of pink antifreeze I just buy 18 gallons and pump it into my water tank. I run everything till the entire rv is running pink. Shower, washer,dryer.hot water heater..everything .. I take No chances of freezing for me here in North Dakota.
Never had a problem. Ever
Mrbrain, I can honestly say I've never worried about having my dryer freeze in cold weather! But maybe I'm missing something?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
The washer dryer is a combo, one unit washes and dry's. I have done both the pink stuff and air. The pink stuff took about 2 gallons and a little for the traps plus a couple cups in the black and gray to protect the valves(40' DP). With air I still need a little pink for the traps and the tank valves. With that small brass fitting for air I don't see how, after the initial water push out, one could get enough pressure build to damage anything unless you are using a jack hammer compressor or keeping the valves all closed to build too much pressure., you just don't have enough volume. As far as the hot water tank goes, that's what the bypass is for. If you don't have one air will clear the system after you drain the HWH.

LEN
Old 10-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Etrailer sells a Camco RV blow out plug for $7.50. It doesn't have the shut off valve but most compressors have a shut off.

Camco RV Water Line Blow-Out Plug w/ Quick Connect - Brass Camco RV Plumbing CAM36143
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #21

i live in ND also and used to use the hose to pump kit but then camper had the winter valve and hose then now i just use air and trap fill, if you know where all the water is you dont have any problems..but heck it really doesnt matter which way you do it as long as done proper..
Old 10-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From 76-05 I used the AIR/TRAP method in NE WA. Never a problem. 05-17 I use the SOUTH method, works Great!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
The washer dryer is a combo, one unit washes and dry's.
LEN
Len, I was just kind of poking fun, but you bring up a good point on the combo washer/dryer. Do you do anything special to your combo unit to winterize other than pouring antifreeze into the drain trap?

Or current coach, which we've had for almost 2 years now is the first we've had with a Splendide combo washer/dryer and as we've South the last two winters, we've not had a reason to winterize, but this year we are staying home so any thoughts would be appreciated!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Len, I was just kind of poking fun, but you bring up a good point on the combo washer/dryer. Do you do anything special to your combo unit to winterize other than pouring antifreeze into the drain trap?

Or current coach, which we've had for almost 2 years now is the first we've had with a Splendide combo washer/dryer and as we've South the last two winters, we've not had a reason to winterize, but this year we are staying home so any thoughts would be appreciated!
Hit_the_Rhod
After the water lines and P-traps have been winterized I pour 2 cups full of RV antifreeze into my Splendide washer/dryer and run the washer through a rinse/spin cycle.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Hit_the_Rhod
After the water lines and P-traps have been winterized I pour 2 cups full of RV antifreeze into my Splendide washer/dryer and run the washer through a rinse/spin cycle.
Regarding "filling the P-=traps," does this just mean that you run the washer until you see pink fluid in it? Or do you disconnect some water lines and pour fluid directly into some trap somewhere?

I'm going to be winterizing my W&D (not a combo-unit) this weekend for the first time..
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #26

I used to have a blow out adapter with a schrader valve thing on the end, but I think it couldn't pass enough volume to get the water out of the low spots, so I made an adapter similar to the one you posted.

My typical procedure is to dump, drain and bypass water heater, and use air to blow out all the faucet into a bucket.

Then pump in pink via a winterizing valve on the pump. Use the air compressor to blow most of the pink out and into the traps. Leaves the pump's valves, and the traps full of antifreeze, and the pipes mostly empty but anything left behind is antifreeze.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
My concern with using a pancake compressor is when the pressure drops below 40# water starts moving down hill. After the pancake builds pressure back up you blow the water further but can you get it all out? A teaspoon full in your toilet sprayer line running back into the valve will ruin your spring as will the same thing if you have a refer with ice maker/ water in the door.

I am not saying it can't be done, just that you need to be real careful doing it. If, as some folks have suggested, you are going to blow the lines then add antifreeze, I think you have a good process. That protects the pee traps and your tank valves as well as your water lines and those "hidden" plastic valves.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Regarding "filling the P-=traps," does this just mean that you run the washer until you see pink fluid in it? Or do you disconnect some water lines and pour fluid directly into some trap somewhere?
I'm going to be winterizing my W&D (not a combo-unit) this weekend for the first time..
Statgeek
To winterize the P-traps in my coach I pour a cup full of RV antifreeze directly down the drains in the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, and the tub shower. ...for the P-trap in the washer standpipe I use a small funnel to pour a cup full of RV antifreeze down the standpipe, (through the "indirect connection" pictured here):

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
winter