Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
inverter/charge

My coach batteries are not being charged while I am on 50 amp pedestal power. I have a 2000 watt Magnum inverter. What's wrong ? Batteries are OK. all cables are clean.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Community Administrator

inverter/charge

The inverter has either a breaker or fuses on the unit itself. Also has a dedicated breaker on the 110 panel. Have you checked them ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Clifftall, I should have also stated. I have checked all fuses, circuit breakers and also reset the inverter.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #4

Make sure you don't have an open neutral. Once I hooked up a regular 15 amp extension cord but it wasn't grounded. It wouldn't charge the batteries. Got another cord with a ground and all was well
Old 05-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #5

Is this a new problem to your current 50 amp service site ?
Has the post power been checked ?
Do you have surge protection ?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Do you have a battery temperature sensor plugged into the inverter? If so, try unplugging it. Mine was bad...
Indydyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
inverter/charge

Is this just an inverter or an inverter/converter? Converters will charge the battery not an inverter which changes 12 V DC into 120 V AC. Might be a separate box.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The inverter should have a high-amperage fuse (200-300 amps) in the positive line from the battery bank to the inverter. That fuse could be blown. If so, you won't get 12 volts to the inverter, and you won't get 12 volts from the inverter/charger back to the batteries.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #9

Inverter/Charger problems also

We have just plugged into a park and had inverter/charger problems. We bought all new batteries and are still not getting charging on the new batteries. For some reason the inverter/charger is not working properly. We have a Xantrex 458. According to what I understand from the troubleshooting manual all is normal. Never had this problem in 10 years on the road. Any suggestions?? All help will be appreciated. Thanks,
Marla & Butch
FrustratedRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #10

[QUOTE=FrustratedRV;3078084]We have just plugged into a park and had inverter/charger problems. We bought all new batteries and are still not getting charging on the new batteries. For some reason the inverter/charger is not working properly. We have a Xantrex 458. According to what I understand from the troubleshooting manual all is normal. Never had this problem in 10 years on the road. Any suggestions?? All help will be appreciated. Thanks,
Marla & Butch[/QUOT

When you run the generator do the batteries charge? If so, then you may have a power cord or transfer switch problem. or the pedestal.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

okie-dokie: in your mind, are "coach batteries" the ones that power the house lighting and such, or the engine starting batteries? I ask just to be sure, since the terminology is often mistaken.

Normally in your Revolution both house and chassis battery banks will charge from shore power, but there are conditions where one or the other will not, so need to be precise. If neither charge, then there is a different set of potential problems.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #12

It can also be the storage switch is in the wrong position or the isolation relay is not working. To start with do you have lights in the MH when the power is un plugged and the generator off?

Do you have a digital volt meter and know how to use it? That would be a big help.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter