Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Inverter "Chatter" when Plugged into 20A Outlet

Hi folks, got another one. While I AirBnB my house (and until it sells), the cats and I are living in my RV. Weather is good and no aircon needed (I'm in Scottsdale, AZ), so I figure just run a short-ish extension cord from one of my exterior bricks and mortar outlets to a couple of adapters and to my usual 50A RV cord. At any given time, I'm using 1-4 A per the readout on my Intellitec control panel up front. Maybe once or twice a week I'll use my hair dryer (after shutting everything else off) so I'll be pulling 11A for 20 or so minutes.

My inverter chatters. It's not clicking like I've read others deal with. It's like...a vibration? Very odd sound. And then sometimes it ceases (right this minute it stopped FOR NOW). I can't come up with a use pattern that explains why - it was chattering for the past 2 hours then SILENCE and all I've got on are overhead incandescent 12V lights in bedroom and a 120V ac LED strip in living area.

Ideas? 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N, xantrex freedom 458 inverter/charger. Charge/Gel 1 light illuminated. Now it's chattering again. Sounds like an old school alien invasion video game.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It's quite possible that the extension cord you are using is too small and/or too long to carry the amperage. A lightweight cord will cause the voltage to drop too much over the length of the run, especially if it's 50-100 feet. A heavier gauge cord might help.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks man, but it's a 20 foot 12AWG extension cord. Should be fine?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you sure it is the inverter/charger that is chattering? Sounds like the transfer switch. Unplug from electrical input, open the transfer switch and tighten all connections.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:17 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I can figure out how to attach a sound bite I will.

Tags
inverter