Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Just a followup to make sure I fully understand. Your PSW is basically always on unless you are storing the unit and manually turn it off. When you connect shore (or run gen) the ATS switches the fridge load off of the PSW inverter, but the PSW inverter remains on. And it does not go into temp over load when the charger kicks on because there is no load on it. And when shore is cut, the fridge returns to running off of the PSW inverter (since it is still on, and not errored out) and you have no problem discharging the battery bank to 50% or so?

If that's all true then I will probably go for a PROwatt 2000 and ATS instead of upgrading the coach inverter/charger. I just really don't want to have to be constantly worrying about the inverter erroring-out and needing to be manually reset or turned on... because I'm sure to forget eventually and lose a fridge-full of food. Thanks so much for your help.

You nailed it Santa.

I also tested running off the PSW inverter only while on shore power. Did this by turning off the 120 volt breaker at the panel. Fridge worked fine and the battery charger was still charging. No error codes. Ran it for a couple of days just to make sure.

Just FYI. The 2000 watt model can put out 19.5 amps while the 1000 model can only supply a max of 9.5. That'll handle your "new" fridge.

Dave and Young
2003 Revolution 40c
Home base: Wyoming, DE
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
The Xantrex ATS simply senses when there is 120 VAC shore or generator power and bypasses the Inverter completely.

It has one 120 VAC input and one 120 VAC output that goes to your fridge. It has a 3-prong plug which gets plugged into the Inverter output. When there is no shore or generator power the transfer switches over to Inverter power to run your fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, Santa, the PSW inverter is installed next to the Freedom 20.

Dave and Young
2003 Revolution 40c
Old 04-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The Xantrex ATS simply senses when there is 120 VAC shore or generator power and bypasses the Inverter completely.

It has one 120 VAC input and one 120 VAC output that goes to your fridge. It has a 3-prong plug which gets plugged into the Inverter output. When there is no shore or generator power the transfer switches over to Inverter power to run your fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Yep. That's the one I installed.

Dave and Young
2003 Revolution 40c
Old 04-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Yep, thanks, I understand that. My concern was that the 1000w inverter would still be on (though not under load) when the charger kicked on which caused the PSW inverter to error-out and shutdown. If that was still the case with the 2000w then I would probably want to rig a relay that, when energized by shore power, would cut 12V power to the PSW inverter... much like the ATS would switch the load to the incoming AC.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
You nailed it Santa.

I also tested running off the PSW inverter only while on shore power. Did this by turning off the 120 volt breaker at the panel. Fridge worked fine and the battery charger was still charging. No error codes. Ran it for a couple of days just to make sure.
Great, thanks so much. You have done a lot to allay my fears that these problems would persist even with the 2000w.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Great, thanks so much. You have done a lot to allay my fears that these problems would persist even with the 2000w.
Santa,

When you get a few minutes it would be great to see a couple of photos of your fridge install.

Take care!

Tags
fridge, inverter