Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #1

Inverter non-op

Set up to dry camp and noticed that the remote panel for our Xantrex ( Freedom 15) Inverter/ converter was dark ( no LED lights lit) and nothing happens when I push any of the buttons for INVERT or SET UP I have the Freedom Remote Control Panel in my 2003 Itasca Horizon class A
The batteries show 12.3 volts on the house side and the 12 volt lights and accessory sockets all work fine.
If I go to the basement I can turn the switch on the inverter to "on" and hear the unit hum but I get no readings on the remote panel (still all dark - no leds light) and more importantly no 110 volts at TV or other outlets. I disconnected the battery cable and waited a minute before reconnecting to see if that would reset the inverter- no change
On a previous unit years ago I did a reset by cycling on the power switch on the unit on-off 3 times in a row- that did not work this time
I disconnected the remote panel and reconnected- no change
My Xantrex book is worthless- no troubleshooting guide at all- any ideas?
Joan Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wild guess......there could be a hard to see/find reset button on the outside of your unit. Looks like a small round bump.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #3

Inverter working tonight

After running about 4 hours down the highway Cal Trans closed the route we were on due to high crosswinds. We were faced with dry camping in the outback tonight. Once set up we used the genny for an hour to cook dinner- no charging lights on the inverter/ charger remote panel. However, a few minutes after shutting down the gen, I pressed the Inverter button and the panel lit up! I have no idea why- but it now is working??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	157685  
Old 04-09-2017, 03:41 AM   #4
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

Battery voltage at 12.0 is a dead battery bank. You need a couple of hours at least to get them back up. Low battery voltage can create all kinds of weird symptoms.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

I have the same unit, when it acts like yours. I can reset it by removing it from wall (4screws) and unplugging the telephone type connection, then plugging it back in. Thought about drilling an access hole in storeage cabinet so I do not need to remove face for access to plug.
Snowmobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Battery voltage at 12.0 is a dead battery bank. You need a couple of hours at least to get them back up. Low battery voltage can create all kinds of weird symptoms.

X 2.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
My guess is that the inverter shut itself down do to low voltage at the batteries.
At 12.3 your batteries were somewhere in the neighborhood of 30% depleted, so there just may not have been enough 'juice' there for the inverter to work with.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

Xantrex 1500 Inverter/ charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for all the interest in my ongoing problems
I Agree the batteries are low but the apparent reason for that is the charger portion of the unit is not working either. When I plugged into shore power tonight the unit was non-op again
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmobile1 View Post
I have the same unit, when it acts like yours. I can reset it by removing it from wall (4screws) and unplugging the telephone type connection, then plugging it back in. Thought about drilling an access hole in storeage cabinet so I do not need to remove face for access to plug.
I too disconnected the remote at the "telephone" plug hoping that would effect a reboot of some kind. After 2 tries disconnected for a few minutes each I gave it up
This is frustrating- I don't want to replace the unit before knowing what's wrong
Thanks for your support
Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Wild guess......there could be a hard to see/find reset button on the outside of your unit. Looks like a small round bump.
My unit is 14 years old and is a Hart Freedom unit that is re-badged as a Xantrex
This unit has a black metal box with no "skin" on it to hide a button under
I have looked hard for a reset button- not saying I couldn't have missed it but I went over the exterior inch by inch
Thank you!
Old 04-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #11

The problem may be an internal fuse that is blown on the charger section
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Unplug the phone cable at the inverter and see if it works then. If the cable is cut or shorted it can do that & you are eliminating any outside problems by doing that.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

Xantrex Pro Inverter Won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmobile1 View Post
Hello Snowmobile1,

I have a Xantrex Pro xm 1000 Inverter and am desperate for help. My inverter will not turn on. Yesterday, i got 4 new 6 volt house batteries. While the guy was installing them he got the + and - reversed and when attaching the cables that joins one in the front to one in the back it sparked so bad it melted the cable connector and part of the battery that is under the post. He replaced that battery and we got it all connected correctly, but now my inverter will not turn on. I have tried reset button, but button didn't seem that it was working. It didn't click or give me any resistance when pushed. Next, I disconnected the 'telephone' plug on the inverter - nothing. Then I disconnected the telephone plug behind the wall panel - nothing. My instruction manual refers to the GFCI, but I haven't a clue where it is. My inverter is in the basement and it has no GFCI exposed as seen on the manual picture (Pic 2 & 3). My display is not on the inverter proper, but on the wall inside my rv (Pic 2). There are no instructions as to where to find the GFCI on my unit. Any help from you are anyone would be greatly appreciated. Am fearful that the unit is toast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170415_091235141.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	158322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170415_094336885.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	158323  

Name:	knockout.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	158327   Click image for larger version

Name:	gcfi.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	158330  

Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynascar48 View Post
Hello Snowmobile1,

I have a Xantrex Pro xm 1000 Inverter and am desperate for help. My inverter will not turn on. Yesterday, i got 4 new 6 volt house batteries. While the guy was installing them he got the + and - reversed and when attaching the cables that joins one in the front to one in the back it sparked so bad it melted the cable connector and part of the battery that is under the post. He replaced that battery and we got it all connected correctly, but now my inverter will not turn on. I have tried reset button, but button didn't seem that it was working. It didn't click or give me any resistance when pushed. Next, I disconnected the 'telephone' plug on the inverter - nothing. Then I disconnected the telephone plug behind the wall panel - nothing. My instruction manual refers to the GFCI, but I haven't a clue where it is. My inverter is in the basement and it has no GFCI exposed as seen on the manual picture (Pic 2 & 3). My display is not on the inverter proper, but on the wall inside my rv (Pic 2). There are no instructions as to where to find the GFCI on my unit. Any help from you are anyone would be greatly appreciated. Am fearful that the unit is toast.
I know nothing about you specific unit but I do know that there should be a fuse or multi-breaker between the battery charge line and the unit jut to p[protect the unit from reverse polarity like your battery cable incident. Richard

Tags
inverter