Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

inverter off

OK i have a issue not sure about do i need to have the inverter turned on all the time now its off i have gen running and stat says charging battery was almost dead this morning barley started the gen now it has not been plugged in for almost a week on shore power here is a pic of my look
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

If you have an inverter-charger combination I would suggest to have your charger tested. Also, it does not make a difference whether your inverter is on or off, other than to save wear and tear on the inverter; if you have the generator running or the coach is plugged in, the inverter is by-passed. However, it is always set to charge if it has a charger built in whether it is one or off.
ebksafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #3

ok thanks for the info i bet its due to no power hook up for a week or so
Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Greg:
What inverter do you have? A friend (Lloyd on the forum) had a similar problem with his Magnum unit. They diagnosed it as a bad control board so he bought one. Installed it and ran fine overnight. Put the cover on and it immediately fried the board again. He replaced the whole unit just last Friday and it's working fine now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #5

Mr d not sure have to look
Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #6

it is a magnum ME3112
Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #7

If the inverter is left on most of the appliances plugged into the sockets it powers will draw current and eventually run down the batteries. All the televisions, fridge, digital radios and entertainment systems do not fully shut down when you turn off the switch. They go into a sleep mode, retaining all the channel, time, and other pertinant information to speed the start up the next time you hit the on button. It doesn't take long to drain down the batteries with half a dozen appliances drawing on them.

We leave the inverter off unless we're dry camping and want to use one of the appliances connected to it. If you're on shore power it's of no use since the inverter doesn't run when it detects power is present
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not all coach's are built the same way.

If we turn off our inverter, whether plugged into shore power or not, then most of our outlets and stuff will not work. Inverter has to be on for things to work. That is how ours was built.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

The Magnum has a "pass through" design. The breakers need to be on for the 120v circuits powered by the inverter to receive any power from generator, post, or inverter. If the inverter is turned off, the power will still pass through.

There is no reason to turn off the inverter when you are plugged in. In fact, there are times (air cond starting for example) when items (TV for example) will shut off because of temporary voltage drop if the inverter is not on.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I leave my inverter on all of the time EXCEPT when It goes to storage. My "entertainment" things are powered thru the inverter and they draw power from the batteries when there is no shore power.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter