Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Inverter problem AC power not working

Hello all, I'm having issues with my Zantrex 458 2500 watt inverter. Only 1 LED blinks, the charging light. All others are off. Also, if I try to plug in shorline, it pops the GFCI at my house.. With generator running, all the plugs work. Checked transfer switches , no wiring burnt.. Any ideas? Is my inverter done?

chris
crockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

The last 2 RVs I've owned will blow a GFIC when plugged in , I'm sure it's something with the surge that happens when the transfer switch engages.
You need to plug into a non-GFI outlet.
Do you have the inverter manual ? Checked for a tripped circuit breaker, on the inverter?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #3

I have a Freedom 458 inverter as well and had a similar problem last fall.
I had to take it to a Xantrex service center . Turned out to be the transfer board in the unit that passes through the shorepower to the AC circuits (outlets). Total cost was less than 300$. It is hard to find someone that can fix them and the parts are proprietary so you don't have much choice except Xantrex. They will bench test it for around 80$ and tell you what is wrong and how much to fix it ...then you can decide.

Geoff
Old 07-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

manual

This manual has the operations and troubleshooting guide.

This plugging in at home, it has normally worked there in the past??
Many times RV's don't do well on a GFI circuit.

Yikes, $300+ I sure hope not for your sake, bummer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xantrex_invert.pdf (574.4 KB, 27 views)
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the 458, this usually happens when the relay (part of the transfer switch) fails to remove the ground from it's neutral output wire when it senses shore power. When/if you plug the rig into a GFCI outlet it will trip because it does not expect to find the neutral to ground bond.

You might be able to find replacement relays, or be able to clean up the existing ones, if you are capable of opening up the unit and checking the relays.

Cheap fix, if you can do it yourself, expensive if you can't.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I tried it on a NON GFCI plug, and it worked but showed only 107 volts. All outlets and convection oven came on, tried again and nothing. I had this inverter repaired before, a circuit board was replaced. I believe it was about $400, but still alot cheaper than $1200 for a new one. lol

chris
crockwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power