Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #1

Inverter question

Let me start by saying that I’m trying to solve my problem in the most economical way possible. I bought a travel trailer to live in and there are some issues. The most expensive issue is the xantrex 1000w freedom 458 inverter charger. The charger works but it doesn’t invert (supply ac power to the coach). I really can’t afford to replace it but I need it because I’m gonna live off grid. I have 3 100 watt solar panels and 6 6volt golf cart batteries from Costco. I was wondering if I could add a separate inverter to supply power to the coach? I wanted to increase to a 2kw inverter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rodneyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

i assume you have flipped the breakers off/on on the inverter? just a thought
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #3

Yea. I already tried that and disconnected the batteries and restarted it. The inverter makes some noise like it’s trying then stops. On the remote panel it shows no dc in. I was gonna take it apart and check the fuse. I’m handy but electric kinda scares me. Guess I’m facing my fears. Lol
Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

Id pull the cover and check for fuses. I know mine has fuses inside. Just make sure power is off and be careful if there are any large capacitors inside they hold charge. Just look for fuses.

And yes you can keep your inverter as just a charger for your batteries but youll need to disconnect the 110vac wiring from your existing inverter and route to the new one.

BUT. you dont want both on at the same time it will drain your batts quick. Youll need to turn your old unit off so its not trying to charge batts off the new inverter 110v signal, its just an endless loop of burning power. I have separate charger and inverter and used a relay thats activated from the inverter 110v that kills power to the charger so its totally automatic and not something i have to remember.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If no DC I would first check for DC voltage at the input of the inverter, to be sure it's a inverter issue. There is likey a high amp amp fuse feeding the inverter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
If no DC I would first check for DC voltage at the input of the inverter, to be sure it's a inverter issue. There is likey a high amp amp fuse feeding the inverter.
If it was the high amp fuse, it shouldn't charge the batteries.

May be a bad cable connection that handles charging amps but not inverter amps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #7

Jon _C thank you for some very useful info. I’m gonna take off the cover and look for fuses. Thanks for the warning about holding a charge...now hopefully I won’t die doing this. Lol.
Your setup sounds better than what mine would be like adding an inverter. I’m gonna Check out a used one near me this weekend. It’s the 2000 watt model of my 1000 watt model. Same xantrex inverter / charger. I also thought it would be a good idea to go pure sine wave and that I could do that by adding an inverter but being stuck in that loop and needing to remember...yea that’s not happening

Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 AM   #8

Hey Twin Boat, thanks.
I’m definitely going to try that. One other thing I noticed is that the copper wires going into the inverter are exposed by a good 1/3 of an inch. Maybe there’s a bad connection there.
Thanks for the response and you triggered something that I didn’t even think as possibly being the issue. I’m
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
No Fuse inside unit.
Circuit Breaker on the side for AC only.
There is a ATS, automatic transfer switch inside.

That is no DC in display on the remote. What is written is "AC in" next to the LED on the remote.

It would be nice if you can better explain what is happening.

When connected to a generator or shore power. Do you have AC coming out of the inverter? To your outlets?

When connected to fully charged batteries, the bar graph with words "DC In". What voltage level does it show?

What happens when you PRESS the INVERT button? does the LED lite up?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #10

Thanks Gatorcq
So when I’m on shore power all is fine. All outlets work and a/c blows cold. When I disconnect from shore power and press the invert button the light goes green but no dc amps register. I have some nightlights and I’ve tried all outlets and nothing. It’ll make some noise like a fan and then it stops. I’ve not opened it up yet. I'm saving it for my weekend. Btw...I don’t see a “dc in” header on the remote.can we post video here?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:05 AM   #11

Thanks Gatorcq
So when I’m on shore power all is fine. All outlets work and a/c blows cold. When I disconnect from shore power and press the invert button the light goes green but no dc amps register. I have some nightlights and I’ve tried all outlets and nothing. It’ll make some noise like a fan and then it stops. I’ve not opened it up yet. I'm saving it for my weekend. Btw...I don’t see a “dc in” header on the remote.can we post video here?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #12

Here’s a pic of the remote not on shore power and set to invert
Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #13

I went with pure sine wave, some devices like microwave ovens dont like modified sine at all.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyo View Post
Jon _C thank you for some very useful info. I’m gonna take off the cover and look for fuses. Thanks for the warning about holding a charge...now hopefully I won’t die doing this. Lol.
Your setup sounds better than what mine would be like adding an inverter. I’m gonna Check out a used one near me this weekend. It’s the 2000 watt model of my 1000 watt model. Same xantrex inverter / charger. I also thought it would be a good idea to go pure sine wave and that I could do that by adding an inverter but being stuck in that loop and needing to remember...yea that’s not happening

Thanks again!
You may /probably need larger 12vdc wires for the larger inverter if your planning to use the extra power.
The formula is for every 1 ac amp (or every 120 ac watts) = 10 dc amps from a battery / alternator. Your alternator also may not be able to keep up either, most are 160amp dc which at full output just meets your 2000watt inverter needs with nothing left over for anything else. So youll either need to upgrade wires and alternator or manage your inverter loading carefully, you can overheat and burn the 12v wiring running into your inverter in a hurry if its undersized if ur not careful (don't ask me how i know. )

Tags
inverter