Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

Inverter question on '04 Neptune

I'm having an electrical problem with my '04 HR Neptune. When I plug in to shore power or start the generator, I have power in 2 outlets in the bedroom only - no power in the rest of the coach. The A/C units both work and the refrig only works on propane. I installed a new automatic transfer switch box which didn't do anything for the problem. Could it be the inverter that's bad? Any advice would be appreciated. Tks, Andy
AJChamblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJChamblee View Post
I'm having an electrical problem with my '04 HR Neptune. When I plug in to shore power or start the generator, I have power in 2 outlets in the bedroom only - no power in the rest of the coach. The A/C units both work and the refrig only works on propane. I installed a new automatic transfer switch box which didn't do anything for the problem. Could it be the inverter that's bad? Any advice would be appreciated. Tks, Andy
Have you checked your main 110 volt circuit breaker panel to make sure you have voltage out to the different circuits and power into it from the transfer switch?

Also, check the outlets to make sure they are not GFCI protected. There will be one GFCI outlet that controls several more down the line on that circuit.

Most inverters don't power all of the outlets in a coach, just certain ones for TV, Fridge, convenience outlet, etc. I guess there are exceptions, but it would take a huge inverter and battery bank to power the entire coach.

You obviously have 12volt power or your Fridge wouldn't be working on propane. Have you checked your house batteries to see if they are getting a charge from the converter?

Is your system a 30amp service which would only be one 110volt leg, or is it 50 amp which would be two 110volt legs, or 220volt across the legs?
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJChamblee View Post

Like Lt Dan said, you most likely have an issue with a GFI outlet, or breaker(s) tripped in your A/C breaker box. The inverter takes 12v DC battery power and converts it to 110v AC. If you are plugged into shore power or generator then the inverter is not being used. If you mean your "converter" that is a unit which takes 110v AC power and turns it int 12V DC power to charge your batteries and turn on your 12V items like light fixtures. Some coaches have an Converter/Inverter which performs both duties, but again they would not be involved with your problem of only having partial AC power. My guess is a GFI circuit is tripped, you might check the outlet in your bathroom, especially if it is on the same side of your coach as the refrigerator.
DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Things that have caused that set of symptoms in MY Personal motor home.

Inverter: It has an on/off switch on the inverter itself, OFF is OFF, no power in, no power out.. This switch on a pair of remote switches can disable either the inverter or the converter (or both) but power will still pass through.. but this switch OFF, nothing passes.

Wiring: Inverter junction box.. Bad connection (Wire nut failed)

Also,, Loss of ONE LEG of your power system.

Tags
inverter