RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Inverter transfer switch

I'm installing an 2000 watt inverter soon not sure what brand yet.

looked at (your opinions on these or others)

COTEK SK2000-112 2000 WATT 12 VOLT $687
Tripp Lite PV2000FC $384 PV1800GFCI
Go Power! GP-SW2000-12 $823
Magnum MS2012 2000W $1500 (why is the Magnum so much more $$)
AIMS Power 2000 Watt, 12 Volt PSW (PWRI200012S) $450
Samlex America SA2000K112 2000W PSW $690
Power Bright APS2200-12 PSW $449

I have a shore power/genny power transfer switch now.

In adding an inverter do I need a 3 way transfer switch?
Is it placed in line with one of the existing leads to the AC panel.

Anyone shed some light on how that gets hooked up or do some inverters have built in switches.

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without looking.....the Magnum is probably an inverter/charger. Are you wanting an inverter/charger ?

I have heard and read that unless you are knowledgeable about this matter......leave the install to a pro.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for the connection, a simple and effective option is whole coach powering. The coach shore power cord is simply plugged into the inverter. when configured this way one needs to be able to disable the existing battery charger converter to preclude a charging loop. My coach is configured this way and has worked well for many years.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most of the inverters you have looked at are sole purpose and designed for use where there is no connection to shore power. The Magnum has a charger built in as well as a transfer switch to sense the availability of shore power and bypass the inverter circuitry. A remote unit is available for the Magnum that monitors the unit and provides for comprehensive configuration of the Inverter/Charger for your battery bank. It is an option to the inverter but well worth the money. I would not consider any of the other inverters to be in the came class as the Magnum. Magnum is an excellent product made in the US and the OEM choice for most large Class A motor homes.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Most of the inverters you have looked at are sole purpose and designed for use where there is no connection to shore power. The Magnum has a charger built in as well as a transfer switch to sense the availability of shore power and bypass the inverter circuitry. A remote unit is available for the Magnum that monitors the unit and provides for comprehensive configuration of the Inverter/Charger for your battery bank. It is an option to the inverter but well worth the money. I would not consider any of the other inverters to be in the came class as the Magnum. Magnum is an excellent product made in the US and the OEM choice for most large Class A motor homes.
X2
I have a Magnum inverter/charger. Works well and when you have a question or issue, the tech support is great.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfmorgan View Post
X2
I have a Magnum inverter/charger. Works well and when you have a question or issue, the tech support is great.
X3, IMO Magnum is the best on the market and made in the USA!

2004 Chevy Duramax/Allison - 2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBSWE
BassinDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #7

How do you use the inverter/charger? I've got one on my 2003 Fleetwood Discovery and have never used it in the 3, 4 or 5 years I've had it. Thank you all
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Xantrex (a subsidiary of Schneider Electric) makes good units as well.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
How do you use the inverter/charger? I've got one on my 2003 Fleetwood Discovery and have never used it in the 3, 4 or 5 years I've had it. Thank you all
When wired and setup properly, they work automatically. If you are plugged into shore power, they will send the 120v directly to your circuit breaker panel and use the charger feature to keep your coach batteries topped up. If you are unplugged, they will invert the 12vdc from the batteries to produce 120v to your receptacles (you cannot run really heavy loads like the A/C or electric Water Heater). If you start your generator, the transfer switch will shuttle, and send the generator 120v to your circuit breaker panel.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

PushedAround, if I understand you correctly, there is nothing I have to do. Just turn it on and use it.if I'm using the generator that's where I'm getting my source of power. If I'm using shore power that's where I'm getting my source of power and if I'm not using the shore or generator then I'm using the inverter and if I'm driving that is keeping the batteries charged from the engines alternator.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
PushedAround, if I understand you correctly, there is nothing I have to do. Just turn it on and use it.if I'm using the generator that's where I'm getting my source of power. If I'm using shore power that's where I'm getting my source of power and if I'm not using the shore or generator then I'm using the inverter and if I'm driving that is keeping the batteries charged from the engines alternator.
Correct. The only thing that you may have to do it make sure that the inverter is actually turned on. Ask me how I know this.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

PushedAround, Thank you so much for the info. I've never used it. There has only been a few times I've turned the switch on. And I turned it right off because of unsure how to use it. I've got all the books on all my equipment. Just didn't quiet understand how things work. I've looked for videos on YOUTUBE. Thank you for the help
Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
jimbo2013:

My coach came with a Sensata model 12X20B3T inverter/charger. Was supposed to put out 2000 watts, but with a residential fridge it just wasn't enough. I disconnected the 4/0 battery cables and the 120v AC out from the Sensata and connected them to a GoPower SW3000 (big brother of the model you are evaluating). All that is left on the Sensata is the AC input (from genny/shore-power T-Switch) and the charge cables to the battery bank.

In this manner, the Sensata is being used only as a 3-stage battery charger and the GoPower SW3000, connected into the breaker box where the Sensata used to connect, powers the coach (and residential fridge). We got more power from the battery bank from a very simple re-connection of wires. I control the devices from the 'One Place' inside the coach.

I enjoy the GoPower products so far (have the remote display, as well). Much more power than I had before. And no problems with their Customer Support department, either. Score! \ken
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Ken, I'm surprised the 2K wasn't enough, most of the new coaches with resid fridges use that size.

I'm going to the Tampa show hope to see some manufacturers reps there for add'l info.

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter