Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #29

Good decision, you will not regret it, and keep in mind, generators are meant to be used "under load" an a regular basis, don't let it sit.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Hmmmm, looks like he’s under that thing with it up on it’s jacks with no other visible support (starting at about the 3:00 mark).
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
No airbags in the class C and the tires were still on, so the suspension would not sag too much and it probably wouldn't have killed him, but yes, jack stands are recommended when you're under any vehicle up on jacks.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Hmmmm, looks like he’s under that thing with it up on it’s jacks with no other visible support (starting at about the 3:00 mark).
I could change the generator oil on my class C with it just sitting on the wheels. I could reach under it and do it easily. Maybe he just raised it to get a better view for the camera. But no, I wouldn't do that.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
No airbags in the class C and the tires were still on, so the suspension would not sag too much and it probably wouldn't have killed him, but yes, jack stands are recommended when you're under any vehicle up on jacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I could change the generator oil on my class C with it just sitting on the wheels. I could reach under it and do it easily. Maybe he just raised it to get a better view for the camera. But no, I wouldn't do that.
I was trying to be funny because of the concurrent thread on working under an RV supported by jacks, hence the popcorn.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/work...wn-429134.html

Sorry for derailing.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #34

Is an RV generator worth it

Had exact same issue with our Onan 4000 with only 85 hrs on it .
I decided not to take it to CW based on previous experience .
I got on line and looked for a factory certified Onan shop.
Found a great shop who determined the carburetor was gummed up from the ethenol fuel.
Completely rebuilt the carburetor , changed all the rubber lines to ethenol resistant , and oil change for $400. The best thing was he had it done in 4 days .
Haven't had a problem with the generator in the last 3 years.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Had exact same issue with our Onan 4000 with only 85 hrs on it .
I decided not to take it to CW based on previous experience .
I got on line and looked for a factory certified Onan shop.
Found a great shop who determined the carburetor was gummed up from the ethenol fuel.
Completely rebuilt the carburetor , changed all the rubber lines to ethenol resistant , and oil change for $400. The best thing was he had it done in 4 days .
Haven't had a problem with the generator in the last 3 years.
I almost wish the generator did not use the RV fuel system for gas for this reason. All my other carbureted equipment gets ethanol-free fuel, but it's just not practical to use it in the RV. I do run the generator an hour or so every month trying to keep it from jelling on us.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Sorry, I just can't get passed paying camping world $150 for an oil change that takes about 10 minutes and only consumes about $7 worth of oil.

see
change the oil yourself not hard. just a few minites time.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #37

CORRECTION: NO, For me RV "Generators" are NOT worth it

I previously posted that I would be repairing my Onan Microlite 4000 generator. After reading this article and using an inverter generator, I realize the Onan is a "conventional generator" and old technology. I'm dumping it and here's why:

https://yamahaef2000is.com/conventio...er-generators/

For those of you with hands-on "inverter generator" experience, I welcome your advice as to which make/model I should buy.
bikerv1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CORRECTION: NO, For me RV "Generators" are NOT worth it

I didn't see anything in that article that would compel me to pick one over the other. It really depends on what you use a generator for. Something the article glossed over is reliability. They consider reliability/complexity as a personal preference and indeed I think each have their own Achilles's heel but I consider the old technology to be a bit more robust. I have read in inverter generator manuals about sensitivity to loads and in my mind that translates to a less than bullet proof inverter. If the inverter fails and it's not under warranty, it will be a very expensive repair. Still cheaper than an Onan replacement but I would bet on the Onan commercial grade construction over the consumer grade inverter genset. I know from direct experience unlike the Onan, the inverter genset it doesn't tolerate surge loads at all. Motor loads especially just instantly trip the overload circuit and you have to shut down and restart the generator to reset it.

A key factor in the RV context is running large loads like A/C. The usual solution is two inverter generators and a combining harness. So factor whatever generator you pick times two, plus the additional hardware to make it work. I've seen demo's of "soft start" gadgets you put on your A/C unit that allow the use of A/C on one 2kW inverter genset but I haven't seen any definitive evidence that is a robust solution. A complicating factor there is that with any gasoline engine you have to de-rate for altitude and I suspect at anything much above sea level the soft start option/single genset may not work.

Convenience - consider schlepping your generator(s) in and out of the basement, setting them up and securing them to retain ownership every time you want power. You'll also need to carry fuel separately.

Per my previous post I wouldn't use an inverter generator in lieu of the Onan, but as a running option depending on circumstances. Going down the road on a hot day I can run the roof A/C with the Onan which I couldn't do with an inverter genset. There's also the convenience factor. Stopped in a rest area I can run the Onan without having to get out and set anything up or put away. But in a campground or park setting, firing off the Onan just to top off the batteries or run an appliance, having a quiet inverter is a better option.

My current inverter genset is a 2kW Wen I bought from a friend for a great price and it works as advertised. But I'm looking for something smaller for the RV since 2kW is a bit of overkill for what I would use it for and would like something smaller and lighter. Something in the 500-1000 watt range would be plenty for hours-long running in eco mode. Each platform has their purpose and they're not directly equivalent. That's my take on it anyway.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #39

I have an inverter generator on my boat. With it, I need to carry gas in a gas can, go out and start or stop it, and store it while under way.

I have a old fashion Onan 4000 watt generator in my MH. I have to push a switch to start it. If I wanted to, I could install an auto start to do that for me.

No gas can , no storing it away, and about as loud as my Honda, while under full load.

Comparing a cheap portable gas generator to a Onan RV generator is doing a disservice to the Onan. The RV generator is a better regulated unit.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #40

X2!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
Can't really cost-justify each component on a motorhome. They all contribute to the overall motorhome experience. If you are "nowhere" and it's a hot night, that generator is invaluable... Even though you might not cost-justify the individual items.. A/C unit, generator, etc..
Besides, I WANT my generator for my morning coffee as well!

A portable $300-500 generator would also work. It would depend on how often you plan to use the generator. We have only used our portable generator 3 times in 6 years.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #42

RV Generator

Your mechanic probably checked this already but my generator stops when oil is low. Simple fix and a common problem . I always carry generator oil with me
Tmark929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator