Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #1

Is this the reason for Shore GFCI Trip?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	241865
Hi All,

I’ve been trying to determine the reason why my Southwind trips the shore GCFI, even with the RV main breaker off. (This wasn’t always the case, it worked wonderfully before we took a 5,000 mile trip last summer).

Today I did a continuity on the RV receptacle. Referencing the attached picture, what I believe is neutral (7 o’clock) and the top (12 o’clock) prong have no continuity. However there is continuity between neutral and the right prong (4 o’clock). There shouldn’t be any continuity between 12 and 4 o’clock, right?
findwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

Check in your main ac distribution panel, you have a ground/neutral short. I had the same issue with my trailer, ended up being a faulty plug.

If nothing is touching in the main panel, next I’d try completely removing the gcfi outlet and see if that solves the issue
Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
From my experience GFCI circuits just will not work when you plug a non grounded load, RV cord) into the GFCI protected circuit. If you check all the RV park plug ins the only GFCI you have will be the 15/20 amp plug, not the 30 AMP. I'm not electrician but have a lot of experience plugging in.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

The 7 o'clock position is ground.
The 12 o'clock position is power
The 4 o'clock position is neutral

Here is a diagram. There should only continuity between the ground and neutral with the main breaker OFF. The ground and neutral should be tired together at the ground buss in the breaker panel.

If the breaker is ON there may be continuity between Power and Neutral/Ground by feedback through something in the circuit like a heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Locking-plugs-wiring.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	242279

Use the 125V L5-30P Diagram
Old 04-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by findwaldo View Post
Attachment 241865
Hi All,

I’ve been trying to determine the reason why my Southwind trips the shore GCFI, even with the RV main breaker off. (This wasn’t always the case, it worked wonderfully before we took a 5,000 mile trip last summer).

Today I did a continuity on the RV receptacle. Referencing the attached picture, what I believe is neutral (7 o’clock) and the top (12 o’clock) prong have no continuity. However there is continuity between neutral and the right prong (4 o’clock). There shouldn’t be any continuity between 12 and 4 o’clock, right?

You should not have continuity between any of the pins on that L5-30.

"Flagged" pin is ground, silver pin is neutral, brass pin is hot... or should be, anyway.

If you show continuity between neutral and ground *at the camper* then you will trip the pedestal/home shore power GFCI.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
The 7 o'clock position is ground.
The 12 o'clock position is power
The 4 o'clock position is neutral

Here is a diagram. There should only continuity between the ground and neutral with the main breaker OFF. The ground and neutral should be tired together at the ground buss in the breaker panel.

If the breaker is ON there may be continuity between Power and Neutral/Ground by feedback through something in the circuit like a heater.

Attachment 242279

Use the 125V L5-30P Diagram
RV guy is correct. There is no continuity between pins with the breakers turned off. Neutrals and grounds are not bonded together in the RV or the pedestal. This is only done in the main service panel of the campgrounds. Neutrals and grounds have their own buss bars. Grounds are bonded to the RV frame. Neutrals are floating.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Attachment 241865
Hi All,

turn you main breaker off and try it again. No continuity between any pins.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Attachment 241865
Hi All,

Are you using a dogbone and plugging into a 20 amp GFI? If so move to a non gfi circuit. 2 gfi's in series don't play nice. You also may have a 5 ma or greater ground fault in your RV. A good test of this id to trip your GFI's in your rig then plug into a GFI circuit shore power. If it trips you have a problem in your RV.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #9

Lets test not guess.

First unplug anything you added or changed since before it started happening.

Next try with the fridge unplugged, not off, but unplugged. If it holds that's a a problem there.

Next is the powers converter. Some plug in.
Pull that plug and test.

Next. Remove white wire from water heater element tape up and test.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
turn you main breaker off and try it again. No continuity between any pins.

The original test was done with the main RV breaker off
Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Are you using a dogbone and plugging into a 20 amp GFI? If so move to a non gfi circuit. 2 gfi's in series don't play nice. You also may have a 5 ma or greater ground fault in your RV. A good test of this id to trip your GFI's in your rig then plug into a GFI circuit shore power. If it trips you have a problem in your RV.

Yes, I was using a dogbone and plugging into a 20 amp GFI. When I moved to a non GFI circuit I was able to power the RV via the shore cord.

I’ll have to try your test
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #12

Is this the reason for Shore GCFI Trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Lets test not guess.

First unplug anything you added or changed since before it started happening.

Next try with the fridge unplugged, not off, but unplugged. If it holds that's a a problem there.

Next is the powers converter. Some plug in.
Pull that plug and test.

Next. Remove white wire from water heater element tape up and test.

As far as I can recall, nothing has been changed or added since it last worked with A shore GFI.

I’ll try unplugging the fridge...I’ve been doing this with the RV main breaker off, wouldn’t that exclude the fridge?

I believe the converter is hard wired in.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really want to figure this glitch out.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

At the risk of being repetitious, in the pic in the first post, 12 o’clock is hot, 4 o’clock is the neutral, and 7 o’clock (flagged) is the ground. And there should be no continuity between any of them with the coach’s main breaker off, measured at the male end of the cord or at the RV inlet. The only place the neutral and ground should be bonded is all the way back at the service equipment, which belongs to the RV park. So if there is continuity between the neutral and ground, the problem is in the coach or the cord.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #14

The first thing that shore power goes to is the Auto Transfer switch, if equipped. Then it goes to the main breaker.

When on generator power, the ground and neutral will be tied together.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote