Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Junction box in a RV

A few days ago I posted a thread about a burnt smell when water on. I found the trouble to be with the junction that I can hardly reach. In a house AC wiring I use wire nuts in the junction box. What can I use in a rv? I am thinking about cutting the wires going in and out of the junction box and putting the box where I can reach it easier. I have some slack in the wires. I am not sure I should use wire nuts in a RV running up and down the road. I could solder the wires together.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought some stuff in a tube called Amazing Goop for RVs. It is a contact Adhesive and Sealant. I think that I would use a wire nut with a little of this stuff in it. It bonds anything together. Happy Trails, Joe
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,
The box you'd like to relocate is 120 Volts AC? Then using standard electrical boxes and wire nuts is the correct way to go. No soldering needed, etc. If the box and wiring are exposed to the weather, then use a box (and entry/exit weatherproof adapters) that are certified for working in such an environment. A Lowes or Home Depot electrical rep could guide you.

Wondering: what in the current box was causing the odor? Was the box getting wet? The reason I ask is that I had a burnt insulation smell coming from the are of my hot water heater (when heating using AC power; not propane). I found some sub-standard wiring in a box there, and the wire-nuts were REALLY getting hot.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

Whatever you decide to use, make sure that it is approved for the type and size of the wires that you are connecting. I doubt that the "Goop" is approved for connecting electrical wires and might cause the connection to overheat or worse.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Whatever you decide to use, make sure that it is approved for the type and size of the wires that you are connecting. I doubt that the "Goop" is approved for connecting electrical wires and might cause the connection to overheat or worse.
I ran a Google check and it is mentioned as safe for electrical wiring. I didn't say that you just GOOP the wires together, rather putting a little in the wire nut so you don't worry about vibrations causing it to loosen in an RV. Joe
Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #6

I had a similar problem last month. Very difficult location where the 30amp shore power cord connects to the motorhome. Looks like maybe the wire nut wasn't put on correctly. The wire nut and a few inches of the wires were burned, so I could not even rejoin the two pieces after cutting out the burned sections. What I did was add a short piece of wire (#10, same size as the burned wires) to join the two pieces. Also used the proper sized wire nuts to make the repair. Also wrapped the connectors with scotch #33 tape just for good measure. It was a little tough though getting it all back into the electrical box. I would definitely say to don't do any soldering.
tippytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoe View Post
I had a similar problem last month. Very difficult location where the 30amp shore power cord connects to the motorhome. Looks like maybe the wire nut wasn't put on correctly. The wire nut and a few inches of the wires were burned, so I could not even rejoin the two pieces after cutting out the burned sections. What I did was add a short piece of wire (#10, same size as the burned wires) to join the two pieces. Also used the proper sized wire nuts to make the repair. Also wrapped the connectors with scotch #33 tape just for good measure. It was a little tough though getting it all back into the electrical box. I would definitely say to don't do any soldering.
Agree. This is NFPA National Electrical Code and Canada Code approved and you will not have any problem. Just make sure you cut off any wire that has turned dark and make tight, clean connections.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
What Carriage used for a junction box is a box that is 2X4 with a clear plastic cover. Where the black stranded wire is the copper wire is no longer copper is is black and the insulation is bubbled up where it comes out of the box. My main problem is that I don't think I brought anything to cut wire with.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Borrow some tools to get it done or wait till later. Just don't use the electrical side of the water heater until is is repaired properly. Classic result of a loose connection.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I bought a wire cutter yesterday at Walmart for $1.97 great quality and made in China.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wire nuts will work fine. Cut off the damaged end of the wire, strip and install wire nut. Put two ends parallel, then twist wire nut until tight. Use a tie wrap just below the wire nut. Then tape the wire nut with electrical tape, wrapping in the clockwise tightening direction. If this is a two wire connection (hot and neutral) redo both wires, then tie wrap the pair of wires. The tie wraps provide help in preventing the loosening of the wires with vibration driving down the road. Soldering, if you can do a good job, if fine. Then wrap a wire nut on the soldered connection, tape and tie wrap.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Wire nuts in an RV are not a real good solution to connection needs. The vibrations we get over time loosen the connection and the resistance builds up causes heat and the wires start to melt. Although things like goop or tape will help hold the wire nuts in place I don't understand why some of you seem to be so against soldering. I have done several repairs with solder and either shrink tubing or electrical tape over the years and have never had a problem with any of those connections again.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
A few days ago I posted a thread about a burnt smell when water on. I found the trouble to be with the junction that I can hardly reach. In a house AC wiring I use wire nuts in the junction box. What can I use in a rv? I am thinking about cutting the wires going in and out of the junction box and putting the box where I can reach it easier. I have some slack in the wires. I am not sure I should use wire nuts in a RV running up and down the road. I could solder the wires together.
Tom

Well, Wire nuts work in an RV to.. Make sure you tighten them down very tight and then tape over them so they do not come loose, but wire nuts work there to.

There are other connnectors you can use as well, but that's really about the best.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
As the old saying goes, "there are many ways to skin a cat"! If done properly wire nuts are permitted and do work well even with the vibration effect. Soldering will also work, again if done correctly. It just that wire nuts are faster on the production line.