Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
In the real world, typical absorption fridge specs say 4 degrees side to side (of the fridge) and 6 degrees front to back of the fridge. You would be hard-pressed to live in a coach that far out of level.

6 degrees is 1 in 10 using the 1:60 rule. so nearly a foot out of level sideways on the coach and 4 degrees is 1 in 15 which is 3 feet out of level front to back on a 40' rig. Good luck cooking on the stove top under those conditions

When on the road the movement keeps the liquids from collecting in the wrong places so no problems.
While I could just remember 1 foot side to side and 3 foot front to back - I am more inquisitive than that - I googled 1:60 rule and all that comes up is aviation stuff. Maybe I missed this in my math classes?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We used to use the 1 in 60 rule when flying. If you fly one degree off heading for 60 miles you will end up one mile off track.
Same ratio would apply if you are measuring in feet. It is very close for small deviations. But it is not accurate for large angles- ie
if you go 90 degree off course for 60 miles you will 60 miles off course not 90

If you want exact use a trig table and a calculator.
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #17

LEVEL............

Reasonably level is what Dometic states in their fridge manuals

Dometic Language
The vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floor or walls).

So if you stand/walk at an angle it is NOT level.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
X3 on the ARPRV unit. It will shut your fridge down before it sustains damage from overheating or explodes. The cooling unit is pressurized with hydrogen gas. If it leaks while the propane burner is on, you got big trouble.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
X3 on the ARPRV unit. It will shut your fridge down before it sustains damage from overheating or explodes. The cooling unit is pressurized with hydrogen gas. If it leaks while the propane burner is on, you got big trouble.

Yes the cooling unit uses hydrogen gas but it s NOT a bomb
Should a leak occur the very small quantity of hydrogen gas escapes very quickly UPWARD and dissipates quickly

The ammonia can be more of an issue........it also is flammable BUT has a very narrow range and must be pre-heated for ignition which only occurs at top of perk tube ----far away from heat source.

After that the ammonia is Either in a cold liquid state or a cold vapor state

Fridge fires do occur.....but majority have been due to faulty electric wiring issues
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
While I could just remember 1 foot side to side and 3 foot front to back - I am more inquisitive than that - I googled 1:60 rule and all that comes up is aviation stuff. Maybe I missed this in my math classes?
Math classes don't often teach stuff that is useful in the real world so specific occupations tend to come up with their own rules of thumb. The rule makes it easy for pilots to figure out diversions in their head when under a lot of stress trying to avoid bad weather - and it also makes it very easy for people to convert degrees which may not be intuitive for many, into an out of level measurement across the coach. Illustrates that there is a lot of nonsense advice given about how precisely level the fridges have to be when the real answer is not very level at all, especially for a lunch time or shopping stop.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If one wants to, there are different "levels" that will give measurements in degrees. Any good hardware store will have them. I carry one around, just in case.

Here is one from Home Depot and I'm sure Lowe's will have one that is comparable.

I now use the Apple iPhone app to tweak the coach level. If you have the Apple compass app just swipe left to get the level screen.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I know it's very important to have the fridge level to run on propane, but is it just as important when running the two way fridge on electric?

Thanks so much!
Yes. And if you are comfortable with how level the RV is its ok for the refrigerator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Math classes don't often teach stuff that is useful in the real world so specific occupations tend to come up with their own rules of thumb. The rule makes it easy for pilots to figure out diversions in their head when under a lot of stress trying to avoid bad weather - and it also makes it very easy for people to convert degrees which may not be intuitive for many, into an out of level measurement across the coach. Illustrates that there is a lot of nonsense advice given about how precisely level the fridges have to be when the real answer is not very level at all, especially for a lunch time or shopping stop.
Isn't that the truth. Took calculus in HS. Went into engineering and never used the calculus at all. Now that I've been retired from the transportation engineering for 20 years I've pretty much forgotten it all anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the first ARPrv activation this week to protect our Norcold 1201. Camped at a FL state park under trees raining leaves 24/7 which blanketed the roof, including blocking the fridge vent. Didn't notice the shutdown until getting something from the fridge. After this, I knew why the guy several sites away was on top of his MH with a broom! Another important lesson learned.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #25

Two questions.... first..can I install the ARPrv myself? And...how do you know your fridge was installed LEVEL at the factory?

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
And...how do you know your fridge was installed LEVEL at the factory?
You don't know.

Gotta read the owner's manual. In there you'll find the specs for how far off level it can be. Chances are really good that if the trailer is level enough for you to be nicely comfortable lieing in bed, the fridge is nicely comfortable doing it's thing.

When I level my trailer, I use a small bubble level placed on the freezer floor to determine level. The result is also fine for me to sleep comfortably.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
..can I install the ARPrv myself?
Very likely a yes, but, I have to be honest and say that after an evening of studying the instructions, I was a bit frazzled when I stood there feeling about in the back of the frig working through a cramped opening in a very tight space, and, actually mispositioned the sensor the first try (to close to the heat sources), but, since the ARPrv almost immediately shut down the frig when the cooling cycle started, it didn't take long to figure out what I did wrong and get it right, after the pieces cooled down. 8^|
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane, refrigerator