Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Techy's: Do any of you guys who know about this stuff have any insight as to the differences between a KVH Sat. Dome and the King Dome?? We paid a pretty good price to have KVH on our orig. (06) MADP, and just realized a new (08) rig we're taking possession of later this week has a King Dome instead. On line feature pricing indicates this King Dome is significantly less than the KVH we're giving up although BOTH are "in-motion", but as we have little to no understanding of A/V equipment and how it operates, we're wondering why the large price difference?? Thanks for any insight you might have. Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Techy's: Do any of you guys who know about this stuff have any insight as to the differences between a KVH Sat. Dome and the King Dome?? We paid a pretty good price to have KVH on our orig. (06) MADP, and just realized a new (08) rig we're taking possession of later this week has a King Dome instead. On line feature pricing indicates this King Dome is significantly less than the KVH we're giving up although BOTH are "in-motion", but as we have little to no understanding of A/V equipment and how it operates, we're wondering why the large price difference?? Thanks for any insight you might have. Steve & Lynette
Old 01-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had Winegard on my previous coach, the new one came with the King Dome installed. The King Dome seems to take longer to find the satellites the Winegard, but the pictures seem to be as good.

The King Dome comes preset for Direct TV. If you are a Dish user it will have to be reprogrammed. I did not know this when I took posession of my new coach. The dealer wanted to charge me for the reprogramming so I ended up doing it myself. It takes a special tool that King Dome "loaned" me.

This dosen't answer your question but about KVH vs. King Dome but might help if you have Dish service.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
This technology is constantly changing and even this month new systems are being presented. The price of these technologies does come down with time and paying for the research and developments. Each has its method and models. You will want to compare model to model. I am sure there are those that can be much insight on the subject. You can do a search by clicking on the "Find" button, entering in a search criteria and uncheck the small box for an entire forum lookup. GOod luck and keep us posted. Congratulations on your new coach.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 6 YO KVH has worked nicely. Only a couple hiccups and they were 1. Operator error and 2. Missed mail notice of sat. change.

The customer service has been (in English) courteous and accurate.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a KVH which came preset for Direct TV which is what we use. Its only about 7 months old. It re sets itself to the correct satellite when we move.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote