Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kwikee Electric Step

My 3-step Kwikee will not retract even when I start the engine. I've checked underneath and do not see any obstructions nor any obvious broken wires. The motor hums as if it is extending or retracting but nothing else happens. Oh, the under step light comes on and then goes out. I've looked at my #888 manual to see if there is a manual way to retract but not luck. Anyone have any ideas? I am somewhat capable of checking currents with a volt meter. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #2

Kwikee has a good trouble shooting web site with a wiring diagram which shows what each wire does and what should have voltage when.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Tha_Rooster! I went through the electrical checks and found all voltage readings to be at spec. I am suspecting that the gear within the motor housing is shot. The motor sounds as if it is going through normal operation but the big table gear (I believe that is the proper name) doesn't move. I attempted to remove the motor housing by extracting the 3 hex screws, however, the screws simply turn without backing out. It is almost as if there is a nut on the backend of each screw and the screw/nut assembly is turning. Everything I've read indicate these screws are self-tapping and should back out. May be I need to apply some downward pressure as I start backing out these screws but I'm not sure. BTW, the stairs move freely after I disconnected the linkage to the 'table gear'. I had to put wheels chocks behind the lower step to keep them extended. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

Mine did the same thing the big gear was bent from the steps flexing I bought
a new gear and a step saver off amazon it works great
This is the step saver I bought Camco 43691
Old 09-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where you parked a long time before this happened? The reason I ask is, these steps will sieze/rust up easily when left extended and subjected to rain. The motor operates (shuts off) on resistence. I had this happen to me twice after long stays, even though I'm good about keeping them lubed.

I had to disconnect the motor arm, soak all slides and pivot points with penetrating oil and move it in and out by hand until it moved freely. It doesn't take much resistence to keep them from moving.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think it is the big 'table gear' since it freely rotates completely around. I would expect resistance with the motor gear but nothing. That's why I suspect the gear inside the motor. Just having a dickens of a time removing it.

We had just returned from a 5-day outing but no rain. It retracted nicely when we left and only stopped working when we got home. Stopped once on the way to readjust outside mirrors - Maryland overpass bridges on Rte 70 wreck havoc on the MH!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clyon51 - once I disconnected steps they move without any resistance.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's probably the motor gear then. Good Luck.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally got the motor assembly off! Three hex screws with nuts, not self tapping as my manuals indicate. Used my power driver to get all 3 off but took 5 minutes on each. Gear inside was in 4 pieces. Now, finding the correct replacement is next. Thanks to all with thoughts and ideas. I'll give a thumbs up when I get it done!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps. Maybe part of it will be helpful. Trouble shooting chart HERE There is a trouble shooting guide HERE If you need sources for motors or parts check the following: Motor PARTS 1 PARTS 2 PARTS 3 __________________________________________________ ______________ " 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping. 2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003. 3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens" The ID tag lists the following numbers: 59720-20 121899 4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. " Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE ********************************************** New info in 2012 ACI Auto/Window Lift Motor (83094) | 1995 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl Enlarge Image Part Number: 83094 ****************************
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just ordered AM 214-1001 motor for $49 plus shipping.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppab View Post
Just ordered AM 214-1001 motor for $49 plus shipping.

For everyone's info you can buy the "slug" gears and the large gear from Amazon or Advance Auto handy for spares.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reordered a different AMS motor...same motor but with the pinion gear. After multiple installations just to get pinion gear and table gear aligned in the right positions (Specific to Series 24/25 Kwikee Step, since discontinued), success was achieved! If it fails again, I will change to a new model step. Thanks to all for your words of wisdom and general support.

Tags
kwikee