Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
I have a 2003 Allegro Bay and I changed my motor with linkage about a year ago. Although everything sequences as it should the step will not stay in the extended position when people start walking on it. What holds the step out? Is it mechanical or is there suppose to be constant power(not likely) to the motor?
I appreciate any help.
P.S. I have used this service many times and started new posts but for the life of me I see nowhere to start a new post now???????????

Herb
Steps are activated by closing circuit to motor. If foot pressure causes it to close the circuit, then it must be a mechanical issue or a short that is closing the circuit. Sounds like you installed the motor and linkage. If you are sure you put it in correctly, then something is causing movement/pressure to complete the wiring circuit to the motor.

If the mounting is not properly attached to the chassis and/or to other parts of the step assembly, then movement may be binding or stressing some part that is touching or near the motor circuit. Will it extend and retract normally when it should?

This is obviously very dangerous and should be solved before you or anyone uses the steps.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

If the steps move slightly; more than just flex; you probably have a broken tooth in the gear drive , if they power up and go all the way in , when you step on them .

If you go to the forum you want to post in ; in this case " RV systems & Appliances"
Look for a SMALL box, left side, above the listing of the posts, over the dark blue border , that says " New Thread "
Old 04-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #17

As for the new thread help - thank you. I must be losing it. As for the steps they do operate as they should. The step extends fully and stays there until someone starts stepping on it. This tells me the gears are okay I think. When it is first extended I can apply pressure inward with my hand and there is resistance. So I believe that when more weight is applied several times by stepping on it that is when the steps gradually drift back in. So I am wondering if the gears are suppose to have a brake or something to hold the step in place, or is power continually applied to he motor to hold it out( I don't believe that is the case). Linkage appears okay since it does fully extend.
Lippert has sent me the test procedures for the steps but I have not performed these tests yet. However, they did not answer my question above. Thanks for the replies and I will post when I resolve the problem.
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #18

Correction to my last reply. It was etrailer that sent me the info, not Lippert.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #19

I went to the Kwikee step guide and my step is not listed there. I have two numbers on my step - 903206000 and 909506000. Crazy. It is on an 2003 Allegro Bay. I believe the motor will be the 32 series motor 1101428. I have ordered it and am hoping for the best. Kwikee has not answered my emails to my surprise. I will post results after installation.
P.S. there is not info on the motor itself.
Herb
Old 05-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
Kwikee has not answered my emails to my surprise. I will post results after installation.
Herb

Herb, as I said in an earlier post ; Kwikee and the parent company Power Gear , were bought up by Lippert ; and from previous experience with Lippert, even if they still pick up e mails sent to Kwikee, their customer service is next to non-existent .
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 AM   #21

I am a little late in getting back on this(sorry) but I did receive the motor and it did resolve my problem. I really did not think it would do it but I am very happy it did. Love this forum.

Herb

Tags
kwikee, steps