Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Kwikee steps suddenly stopped extending

My Kwikee steps made my Lippert Industries and I guess previously Power Gear stopped extending. I called Lippert and since the magnetic switch which determines the entry door position was loose the tech suggested I focus on that. That magnetic switch controls the step functioning and also turns on the entry light. I reattached the magnetic switch and have determined that it is working correctly by observing the entry lights and also the amber light below the steps which is part of the step assembly. That amber light comes on with the door open and off with the door closed. So I think I can eliminate the magnetic switch as a cause.

All wires and connections appear to be normal. Any suggestions on the next (pun intended) step. Lippert is closed for the weekend.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Since it sounds like there's 12 volts to the steps then it may be a mechanical issue with the motor or linkage.
We suggest disconnecting the two from each other (usually just one pin) and confirming there's no binding of either. And that the motor works as expected when the sensor is activated.

Don't forget to take a good look around to confirm no connecting wires have been pinched or cut and that there's a good ground.

Please remember safety first! Don't put yourself, any part of your body, or clothing in the path of the steps, which may open or close without warning.

Let us know what you find.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #3

Usually the connection. There are several youtube videos on fixing this. I had the same problem, watched the videos, adjusted the connectors and fixed it myself.
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Any suggestions on the next (pun intended) step. Lippert is closed for the weekend.

Recommend you use their troubleshooting flowchart.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Flow-Chart.pdf

I recently had issues with my steps. It turned out to be both the mag switch on the door AND the control unit.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I did find a video produced by Lippert that goes through an extensive diagnostic routine.
I think the magnetic switch is OK. I suspect the motor is not getting power. I'll post my findings.
Both sold
Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

Timjet,

The faster way to troubleshoot whether it's binding or issues with the motor, or assembly, is to remove the clevis pin from the swing arm attachment to the shaft.

With that out, you should have no problems or resistance pulling the steps out to the full extended position.

If you do, its the steps themselves that are binding and in need of lubrication at all the pivot points.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_211217.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	193564
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 AM   #7

Thanks Toribk. I'll remove the pin as you suggested just so I can use the steps. I don't think there is any binding in the mechanism as the motor doesn't appear to be getting power.
I supplied DC power directly to the motor as instructed in the Lippert video and got nothing.

Also I noticed that a yellow wire with a green strip in the wiring harness to the assembly had been cut. I know of no way of that happening when the steps stopped working. I was refueling when they stopped. I reattached that wire and that did not fix the issue.

I'll call Lippert on Monday.
Both sold
Old 02-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #8

Just be cautious of the fact that without the swing arm attached, the steps will not stay extended, so you will have to place something solid under the first step when they are open!

Also, you should have a fuse for both the step motor and door switch. On my 2012 Fleetwood Discovery, these two fuses are located in the Battery Control Center (BCC)

This might explain no power to the step motor. The last one I worked on the bottom step was bent and the steps were binding half-way out causing the fuse to blow.

Hope this helps with your troubleshooting efforts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 02-25-2018, 04:59 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Toribk;4057190]

Also, you should have a fuse for both the step motor and door switch. On my 2012 Fleetwood Discovery, these two fuses are located in the Battery Control Center (BCC)

This might explain no power to the step motor. The last one I worked on the bottom step was bent and the steps were binding half-way out causing the fuse to blow.

/QUOTE]

The tech at Lippert said there are 3 fuses associated with the steps. I've located the motor fuse and the ignition relay fuse which are good. I'll be on the phone Monday with Fleetwood and hopefully they can tell me where that 3rd fuse is which is protecting the white wire in the harness. I don't know what that's for - yet.
Both sold
Old 02-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #10

Great....I've heard that there is an "inline fuse" somewhere as well, but since I've never had to find it, I don't know either.

Look forward to your response from Lippert.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 02-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #11

Since you mentioned white wire...I'm thinking fuse to "Lock Out" rocker switch on dash?....we'll see.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 AM   #12

So I had intermitent problems with my steps, I read on this forum that it's a good idea to simply unplug the power and slightly twist the male end and put back together. That's been 6 years ago.....troublefree.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
The motors on these steps are the same motors used on automobile power windows. They have a mechanism that locks them up if they get any interference like a hand stuck in the window when it is closing or the steps hardware sticking while opening or closing. My steps have given me the exact same problem. To resolve it, I lowered the motor by unscrewing the three screws releasing it from the gear box. Just doing that frees up the motor. Reinstall the three screws and the motor begins to work again. However make sure all the hardware and hinges are thoroughly greased. Kwikee sells a special spray grease but white lithium spray grease is also good. Once a month you should inspect and grease the hardware and all the hinges.
You may also take a hammer and tap the bottom of the motor while pushing the button switch on the door frame. Sometimes a jolt releases the motor and it begins to spin. Then make sure all the hinges and hardware are well greased.
Hope this helps.

Bob
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #14

Thanks Bob, I took the motor and gearbox assembly out and bench tested the motor and it did not spin. I did not tap it with a hammer. It's 11 years old so regardless it's on its last legs. I order a new motor and gearbox and will install this weekend.
Both sold

Tags
kwikee, steps