Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Kwyatt 7.0 220?

I have a Kwyatt 7.0 that someone in past has replaced the Onan with.
I have a full size dryer now in my 40' Teton and it only works on shore power. My genset doesnt seem to have 220v capability? Or does it?
It seems to be big enough for the job but can it be rewired or replaced with a 220 head ? Not only that. It is set up for propane and it seems to burn it quickly? Is this common? I may be getting 4-6 hrs of run on a tank?
I use a diesel gen set on my service truck that burns .5 gal a hour under a load. I usually dont use the genset and only park where there is power but I bought this to plan ahead. And finding propane in the woods at that burn rate seems unreasonable.
Thanks, Jon
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 03:49 AM   #2

Jon, what is your genset's model number? I have zero service manuals on these units as they're rather rare to see. But I do have an operators manual which does show the 7.101 model as being 220 capable, attached below. Find it's model number and call Dometic, unless someone on here has specs for all their different models. It's entirely possible whomever installed the new genset has miswired it. Did you check the breakers on the genset?

You mention you now have a 220vac dryer. Did you install this? Was it a new install? or was there a 220vac dryer in there before that was replaced?

As to your question on the LPG - yes, that is a common problem with LPG based generators on any TT, 5th or Motorhome; the ability to carry enough LPG with you. I have seen conversions where people have removed their LPG generators and bought either a gasoline or diesel genset that matches the fuel type of their tow vehicle and used a fuel line from the tow vehicle to feed the genset.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic_Generator_Kwyatt_opererators_manual.pdf (1.17 MB, 60 views)
Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

I somehow completely either overlooked your message back to me or haven't received it until now?
I thank you for your reply, and I will check tomorrow. I bet if I start the generator and go back to the shore power breaker it will have 220.
This is good timing, I was about to buy a all in 1 steam washer /dryer. But I am not sure I want to take that chance in a RV.. They aren't quite perfected yet.
Plus I have a small fortune in the rebuild this far and do not want to take chances.
I will call Dometic about either getting this thing efficient or switching it to gasoline .
I also see you are a RV mechanic? I have several questions on some conversion projects I would like to do to the RV but would like expert advise before I do a mistake.
Thanks, Jon
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote