Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Larger propane tank

Hello folks I have a 2015 class c 30ft. I full-time I believe my propane tank is about 13 to 16 gallons. I live in the north east so in the winter time I can run through that pretty quick. I was wondering how big or small of a job would it be to add a Nother tank. Or to replace the original. Ideally I would like to double what I have now. Thanks all.
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Mounting it will be the hard part of the job, but without seeing the underside of your RV, It is tough to try to guess just how hard. If you do decide to add a second tank, you should look into adding an automatic changeover regulator. That would empty one tank before starting the other. It would also let you know when one is empty.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Or install an Extend A Stay adapter and use external bottles which you can remove for filling without having to break camp.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

http://www.manchestertank.com/products/rvproducts.htm

Measure the space where you want to mount the tank, and have at it. Any decent shop can fabricate and weld the support structure.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

FWIW When you see the cost and the added weight the extend a stay might get very attractive. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Yes but if I install a extend a stay I would still have to carry two full tanks to hook it up to the extend a stay
Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

Installing a larger tank should be pretty easy if there is room, but there usually isn't (or the manufacturer would have put in a bigger tank to begin with.)
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #8

Just a thought. Will there be a certification issue to change/add a propane tank setup in an RV.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Just a thought. Will there be a certification issue to change/add a propane tank setup in an RV.
I think that as long as the tank selected is ASME-approved for mobile use then there is no further legal certification required for a retrofit, although it would obviously behoove the owner to ensure that it is done in a workmanlike manner. You would also want to make sure that you are not exceeding any vehicle weight limitations.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

There is room for a larger tank the tank that is there now has four bolts which goes through The bracket mount on the tank I'm just thinking if I get a larger tank maybe the new bracket on the Larger tank will not line up with the four bolts.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
How close is the nearest propane dealer? Do they deliver to where you stay?

The resort we stay at has a bi-weekly visit by a propane truck. He is a bit more expensive than at the plant but by the time we drive over and have the tank filled it is cheaper to have them fill on site.

Since he fills by the gallon we get him to top us up on a regular basis.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #12

Actually where I was getting my propane from they moved three days ago. I went there and they were gone lol. I do not stay in one spot I'm constantly moving. I paid $3.50 a gallon yesterday too expensive for me.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Or install an Extend A Stay adapter and use external bottles which you can remove for filling without having to break camp.
Works well.

Tags
propane, tank