Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I found this one on Amazon and it says it is made from a Zinc allot lead free material. Amazon.com : ****Improved Design****Lifetime Warranty! Comfort Grip 2 Way Hose Connector. New Improved Design for August 2015 to Ensure No Breaking or Leaking! Exclusive New and Improved Design is on Leaf HD Products Only. |Bonus: Free Add-on: 3 Rubb There were a couple of others that look almost identical but this one is the only one that said lead free.

Now I LIKE that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I find it amusing that people are so concerned about a simple brass or plastic Y hose connection. If you only knew the makeup of all the underground water supply piping you would think twice about using domestic water supply sources at all.

Sammie

I DON'T use those sources for anything we consume! I have high-quality water filters in the MH and our house!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps66 View Post
Attachment 116039Attachment 116039. I found at ACE. Plastic and brass. Have had for about 2 years. Works great. I like the BIG LEAVERS.

I found one very similar to this at Tractor Supply today. It had a tag that says " This product contains chemicals that the state of California has found to cause cancer".

I wonder if those from ACE have that same warning?
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #32

This dispels any concerns about lead leaching from brass fittings: Brass Alloys and Their Chemical Composition and Uses
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This dispels any concerns about lead leaching from brass fittings: Brass Alloys and Their Chemical Composition and Uses

That's a LONG article! I scanned through it but didn't see the part that dispels any concerns about brass fittings. Could you be more specific?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #34

I think that the linked article proves nothing except that some brass alloys contain lead. So far I don't think anything is settled. My gut feel is that plastic wyes, etc may contain more toxic substances than brass unless they are formulated for potable water. Certainly the garden variety (and I mean garden literally) may contain toxic substances. Garden hoses specifically state 'not for drinking'.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to make a guess if one was to have their water tested after flowing through one of these fittings, lead levels would not even show up in the test results.
How about this problem with lead in the water Obama declares Flint water emergency as Sanders blames Michigan governor | US news | The Guardian
Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's a LONG article! I scanned through it but didn't see the part that dispels any concerns about brass fittings. Could you be more specific?

Thanks!
Only two of the listed brass compositions include lead being added. None of the remaining brass compositions even mention lead. California defines "lead-free" as <0.25% lead
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is an excellent chance that any brass has some amount of lead in it. It would be best to assume that any brass has some amount of lead, especially if one desires to avoid lead. The metals contents shown in the referenced chart are the major constituents of the brass product, and every brass producer might have small proprietary additions that might not be disclosed as the amounts are small.

"Lead free" brass is available for machining, but there are generally no rules in place about warning the end consumer about the lead content unless a country or other authority has a law about lead content and/or consumer warnings, like CA. The only brass that anyone could be reassured does not have a potentially dangerous amount of lead is the stuff certified for sale in CA in plumbing fixtures. Otherwise, if the lead content isn't disclosed, how would you know?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass#Lead_content
Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Otherwise, if the lead content isn't disclosed, how would you know?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass#Lead_content
By reading the MSDS, like this one: http://www.russelmetals.com/en/Locat...s%20Alloys.pdf
This one is for leaded brass: http://www.meritbrass.com/MaterialSa...peFittings.pdf
Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is the MSDS available in the plumbing section at Home Depot? Amazon? Your locally owned and operated True Value? The Mom and Pop store in Tinytown, USA?

Nope.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I ended up getting this one and it looks like really good quality!

Robot Check

Can't figure how the link got that name!
Old 01-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #41

If you want to worry about health effects from lead leeching from a brass 3" long Y fitting on your RV water line, add your brass pressure control valve as a concern too.

Personally, I' not going to worry about it at all.......
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #42

It seems that as we get better at measuring things we get more scared of tiny things.

We now can measure fractional parts per billion so yes we can see nasty stuff in our water but to consume any dose one may need to drink a truckload of water.

Do not forget that drinking Di - hydrogen monoxide will certainly kill you as well not drinking it.

Tags
water