Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #15

Something I showed my friend. If you want to check your door seals, get something out of your fridge or freezer and just close the door without pressing it to snap the travel latches. Wait ~2-5 seconds and if the seals are good, it will suck the door closed all the way and click.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue12v View Post
Ok so I've been doing it perfectly as y'all have described. Much thanks for the clarification! I feel better! I usually do put a couple bottles of water in fridge when I turn it back on, mainly to have handy and if they taste cold enough I know it's working. I can't tell by ambient air temp but my mouth is great at letting me know if drink is cold enough or not. I do know it gets colder than my s&b house unit. I guess I'm too cheap to buy a thermometer for it lol. And I wouldn't dream of leaving doors shut when stored. Ever!

Dunner ya you're doin it the way I would if I used that often. I'll reply to your pm soon.

Much thanks again y'all. happy camping!
Eric
You've gotten answers from leaving it on all the time to turning it off and on, just wondering how you can say you've been doing it perfectly when there is no "perfect" answer?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All equipment has a finite duty cycle or life. We have always shut our down, died the interior and left the door open between trips. If we are headed back out shortly, we will leave it on.

Also, why waste the power to keep it operating. Leaving it on will not lengthen the life at all.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You've gotten answers from leaving it on all the time to turning it off and on, just wondering how you can say you've been doing it perfectly when there is no "perfect" answer?
He did it like I do. What's more perfect than that?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #19

Ok you're right I'm not saying that one person in particular is right or wrong. But majority said when not in use, shut er down. And all have had reliable service following that procedure. So according to the majority of recommendations, I've been following their advice perfectly. As in, I've been doing it exactly as they have said they believe is correct. If they are wrong then I guess I'm doing it perfectly wrong too lol

Ya Dunner I can even click mine shut and listen and watch it suck the door tight, it's like the automatic latch on a caddy trunk lol once it does that and until it stays closed a while it is nearly impossible to reopen. I'm guessing eventually it bleeds the pressure out through the cooling unit.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo
From the web;
"I have been to factory schools on both Norcold and Dometic ref. According to the instructors almost all cooling coil failures are due to stoppage in the expansion tube. The cooling mixture is water and ammonia. They also add zinc chromate to help stop rusting. The more you run the ref. the more the expansion, the more buildup. I was told to leave the ref. running if you are going to use it within a week, But shut it off if it wil be longer."

and...

"Turn on before use

Always turn on your RV refrigerator 24 hours before use to allow it to cool down. You want it to be at least 40 degrees. Sometimes having a bottle or two of water in it to start, helps to get the cooling cycle working faster.

When storing it, keep the doors open (both the freezer and regular compartment )

When you are done with your trip and are putting the RV away, don't forget to turn off the RV refrigerator (also close the propane tank valves ) and leave the doors to the freezer and regular compartment open. If you don't, then as the unit warms up, moisture will condense on the inside. That will be perfect for mold to grow on everything. The mold can stain some plastics and be difficult to remove. It can also be a health problem. So prevention is the key. Leave the doors open when the RV refrigerator is not being use."
Sorry I only have access via my phone and sometimes it can be inconvenient to surf/navigate/scroll/reply/quote etc. or i get busy thinking of and typing reply and forget to quote the reply I'm replying to in particular. I guess what I meant was I have been doing it exactly how this user has described it should be done.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #21

When the warm air contracts, it sucks the door in. Don't know how it equalizes. Maybe through the drain hole.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #22

We have been leaving ours on the discussion here convinced us to turn it off. Thanks for letting us know that it costs $24.00 to run it a month, it is hovering around 100 degrees here, fridge has to work hard to keep it cold in extreme temps. Just turned it off now watch there will be a power outage and we will wish we had left it on.
Our last rv we had for 10 years and ran our Dometic fridge just about all the time and it never had a problem.
Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #23

If you do have an outage, the cold food you transfer into it will help cool it down sooner.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
Something I showed my friend. If you want to check your door seals, get something out of your fridge or freezer and just close the door without pressing it to snap the travel latches. Wait ~2-5 seconds and if the seals are good, it will suck the door closed all the way and click.
This reminds me of a problem we had on our present MH's first voyage. Freezer and frig temps began to rise in 70 degree weather. Kept increasing setting until reaching 10. I'm thinking oh great, I see a $1600 expenditure!

Then one day I notice we had just been swinging the door closed and not pushing it shut to click the travel locks. Next day everything back to normal.

Cause: Too use to the home frig.
Solution: Go RVing more often
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #25

Quote:
All equipment has a finite duty cycle or life. We have always shut our down, died the interior and left the door open between trips. If we are headed back out shortly, we will leave it on.
Yes but that finite duty cycle could be measured in time which might not be affected by whether you run it when you need it or 24/7. We run ours 24/7. A liddle birdie once told me that this is better for the reefer. If I ever hear conclusive evidence that running 24/7 shortens the reefer life considerably I might change my habit's but most likely not.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
This reminds me of a problem we had on our present MH's first voyage. Freezer and frig temps began to rise in 70 degree weather. Kept increasing setting until reaching 10. I'm thinking oh great, I see a $1600 expenditure!

Then one day I notice we had just been swinging the door closed and not pushing it shut to click the travel locks. Next day everything back to normal.

Cause: Too use to the home frig.
Solution: Go RVing more often
My post may not apply to all brands of refrigerators.