Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
LED interior bulb switch

I am wanting to switch my inside bulbs to led. They are 921 bulbs. I want it to be brighter than it is.
I see bulbs from very cheap to very expensive. Should I buy them off ebay from the cheapest seller or should I buy them somewhere else. I always buy from US sellers because of time to get it to me and I try not to cut out American business people.
Any input would be helpful
Thank you chris
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #2

I got mine from M4 Products. They are high quality metal bulbs that act as heat sinks whereas cheap bulbs are plastic that don't dissipate heat very well. They were shipped within 24 hours and I'm quite happy with them.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
M4 x2!
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased some mid priced ones from a local camping, bulbs were imported. The ones that worked are ok as far as quality of light and output. I purchased multi packs and the problem I've had is I've replaced several due to flickering. The store I bought them from changed brands or packaging as I was purchasing them and will not honor returns without original packaging and receipts regardless of the fact that all of my purchases were in their computer within a month and about $500 worth of bulbs. I've read lots of good things about M4 customer service, replacement and quality. I plan to try them next. More info than you may have wanted, but I am all about customer service these days and don't mine paying extra for it. If you go with cheaper ones buy one or a as few as possible and try them before you replace all of them.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 AM   #5
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for responses. I do not see many responses on the topic. Is this something people do not do.
I want to do the switch. I wish I could hear some more opinions.
Thank You Chris
Old 09-14-2017, 05:58 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
All you have to do, is a Web Search or here in the IRV2 Search Box. Many, and I mean Many post on LED's switch over.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Thank you for responses. I do not see many responses on the topic. Is this something people do not do.
I want to do the switch. I wish I could hear some more opinions.
Thank You Chris
Yes there's quite a few who have switched. It was a search here where I found several recommendations for buying from M4 Products.

The light fixtures in my own trailer also use 921 bulbs - 17 in all. If you are looking for LEDs that are considerably brighter then you might be disappointed as I don't think there's a whole lot of difference. I'm going to make a guess that most switch to LEDs because they use 1/10th the power, not because they're brighter. As an example in the main living area my rig has 5 light fixtures, 2 bulbs per fixture. With LEDs I can now turn on all 5 fixtures with no more power draw than 1 incandescent bulb. Not one fixture but 1 bulb. I usually dry camp so for me that's a huge power saving on my batteries.

In a round about way LED bulbs are brighter because you can turn more on and still save a lot of battery power.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

on buying LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
I am wanting to switch my inside bulbs to led. They are 921 bulbs. I want it to be brighter than it is.
I see bulbs from very cheap to very expensive. Should I buy them off ebay from the cheapest seller or should I buy them somewhere else. I always buy from US sellers because of time to get it to me and I try not to cut out American business people.
Any input would be helpful
Thank you chris
Hi, I'm going to put in my two cents here because I am well-experienced with LEDs in general, having been in the LED business since 2002.

When looking for LEDs, yes, quality makes a big difference. It is very, very true that you want great heat sinks because, contrary to common belief that LEDs don't emit heat, LEDs emit a lot of heat! However, that heat comes from the base of the bulb, and not the emitted light.

I have personally tested and evaluated dozens of LED bulbs from different manufacturers and the inexpensive ones typically have poor (or no) heat sinks, lower-quality LEDs, poor color uniformity, etc. The bulbs are promised to last 20 years, but I've had some run for literally 1.25 hours and some have been going for nearly 10 years. Just FYI--I have never tested RV bulbs.

Heat is an LED bulb's worst enemy, so make sure your light fixture (and this goes for both home and RV) is well ventilated so that heat can escape. An airtight fixture will kill any LED bulb quickly.

The LEDs are electronic, and LED bulbs also have electronic components inside, including a circuit board. Just like your laptop computer has to stay cool, so do the electronics in an LED bulb.

Next, you want to consider color temperature. This is not thermal temperature. Rather, it's the tint of the light. The most common and least expensive of the white LED bulbs will be Cool White. If a bulb does not specify what color of white it is, it will be Cool White.

Loosely speaking (since there is no rock-solid universal standard for this), cool white will have a Kelvin temperature of about 5500-6500, which can mean you perceive the light as bright white-to-bluish white.

Often, this color, while actually brightest in lumens (lumens being a measure of brightness of light), is considered unpleasant to people's living spaces. It's akin to putting the fluorescent lights of your office in your home, and most people don't like it. It feels cold and harsh.

Better for living would be Warm White, Sunlight, Natural White (or various other names--again, no Standard). These bulbs are "warmer" in color which to the eye basically means they have an ivory, off-white, or yellowish tint.

The Kelvin temperatures of the Warm Whites tend to hang around the 2700 to 5500 range. The 2700 being more yellowish and the 5500 being less yellow. Lumens will typically follow--less yellow means more lumens (if all else is equal).

The warmer temperatures will feel very homey and cozy and look more like the incandescent lights you're accustomed to (except maybe halogens, which are typically on the brighter white end).

As for me, I would use the warmer whites for my living spaces, and Cool Whites over my sink and stove.

Super secret tip: For your outdoor lights, use bulbs that emit very little UV. This will attract fewer bugs. Cool White has the most UV. Warmer Kelvins such as 2700 would have the least (while in the white range). Amber, Red, and Orange have practically no UV. Green has very little. Blue has quite a bit, but nothing like the Whites. Pink and Purple are probably between the blue and white. There are varying shades of all colors, so no exact answers here.

Bonus: Red lights won't cause night-blindness. So, you can be reading a book under red light, for example, and immediately get up to investigate something outside in the dark without having to wait for your eyes to adjust.
Karoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Karoshi,

Thank you for a very informative post.

Don
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have purchased from a number of suppliers and vendors. Some have been good but expensive, some have been cheap and wouldn't work at all due to polarity issues.

The most recent ones I have bought are from Golden Gadgets. Zero problems and good prices.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #11

Search YouTube for rvgeeks and LED as they've done a number of videos on the subject.

I've encountered locations on my coach where the bulb base was +12vdc and the tip ground. I'd test before installing an LED replacement. I'm testing a bulb I bought off of Amazon that is advertised as non-polarized but I don't have an opinion formed yet.
Pirate_Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #12

If a bulb doesn't illuminate due to wrong polarization the problem can be corrected by dropping the light fixture and reversing the positive and negative wires.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #13

This may or may not be your issue, but some LEDs will flicker if there is not a big enough load on the circuit. Often if there is a dawn-dusk switch, or electronic dimmer. It may be an incompatibility with a power coverter, especially if it's electronic type.
Let me know what happens.
Try using one incandescent bulb in the circuit and see if it fixes the flickering.
Karoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have converted 2 motorhomes with led lights from M4 Products. Very satisfied with their quality bulbs and service.
RV Carl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, led, switch