Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, low battery voltage was the issue. I feel dumb as I added a new cut-off switch on the positive lines. Turning it on made the generator fire right up. So how would the generator even try to start with the switch turned off? Hmmmm.

And I checked voltage at the outside outlet. 180 volts. Holy batman!! I shut that generator right off. What part controls the voltage on an Onan 4BGEFA?

Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
I checked voltage at the outside outlet. 180 volts. Holy batman!! I shut that generator right off. What part controls the voltage on an Onan 4BGEFA?

Mark
Mark
When my Onan was outputting 145VAC it was caused by the throttle linkage hanging up/sticking.
A cleaning with spray brake cleaner and lubing it with WD-40 fixed it.
I hope you are as lucky.
Mel
'96 Safari, Onan 6.3NHE Emerald Plus
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #17

Hold the phone...

Check your house voltage with same meter.

The free ones from harbor freight read high like this as they fo not do rms quire right.

But they read about 140 ish not 180.

Stating the obvious...turn off all the breakers or at least the ones on the generator.

Make big note to turn off all breakers before it is worked on.

Also suggest a kill o watt...we use flukes but the kill o watt I s pretty handy for us that sometimes are lazy...and they read correct voltage.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Just last month I had the motor serviced and I asked the mechanic to also service the generator. So maybe something got bumped in the process? Of course all the manual say is 'Contact an Onan dealer.' Will look at the linkages a bit closer. Otherwise will call him on Monday.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I don't buy cheap tools. I pretty much avoid Harbor Freight like the plague. My meters are Fluke and Klein.

I can tell by how bright the lights are that something definitely isn't right and I believe it's kicking out 180V. Shouldn't there a be a breaker or something that trips to prevent an overload like that??
Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #20

Sometime high voltage can trip certian protectors but one must have one...normal surge trip at higher voltages...ems units check voltage.

Was not sure on meter so posted warning to be sure...

If you have fluke check frequency.

If generator is over speed due to a linksge bumped may show higher frequency.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Linkages seem to move OK. Voltages are all over the place now. Last test it ran for a few seconds at 120V, then jumped all over the place including over 200V. Ugh!

On a side note I notice that my converter tends to get warm (probably normal), yet it's inside a sealed compartment with no air. Is that smart?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Looks like you have a handle on the issue, but here is the service manual just in case you need it. Looking at the wiring diagram and schematic, it is a pretty simple control system, no electronic control, a transformer (T2) with taps to adjust voltage output. Hopefully it is just a wire out of place.

Note also you may have damaged your converter with that high a voltage, so I'd keep an eye on it.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Bless you. Thanks for the link to the manual. I'll have this figured out in no-time now! Everything from adjusting the idle to adjusting the governor is spelled out in black and white. Thanks again!!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Shouldn't there a be a breaker or something that trips to prevent an overload like that??
When my Onan was producing 145V, something, (transfer switch?, inverter/charger?), would switch the power to my receptacles on for a second... off for 4-5 seconds...on...off... on...etc.
Quote:
On a side note I notice that my converter tends to get warm (probably normal), yet it's inside a sealed compartment with no air. Is that smart?
The compartment containing my combination 2000watt inverter/12V converter/3 stage charger, and my transfer switch, is vented with 4 2" dia louverd vents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Bless you. Thanks for the link to the manual. I'll have this figured out in no-time now! Everything from adjusting the idle to adjusting the governor is spelled out in black and white. Thanks again!!
Pexring
A search for "flight systems onan troubleshooting" will find some pdfs that may be helpful as well.
(Or see Troubleshooting and Cross-Reference Guides | Flight Systems, Inc).
When my Onan but would start, but not continue to run, I located the problem, (a bad voltage regulator), using their troubleshooting guide, and a few phone calls to their tech.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
OK, back to this issue of high erratic voltage. I took a cover off my Onan and found a run cap totally leaking and perhaps it damaged the box below it. The manuals I've seen do not give part numbers. Actually I'm wondering if I'm even looking at the right manuals as some things don't match up. Anyone know what that box is (pic #3) and have a list of part numbers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	67254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan1.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	67255  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	67256  
Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #26

The gray box is the voltage regulator and that capacitor should have been mounted to it..... There is no seperate part number for the capacitor that I can find.. just the voltage regulator itself which, in my diagrams, shows as being all one piece.

Part # 305–0809–01 (60HZ)

Here: http://www.flightsystems.com/p-ONAN-305.html

or here: http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...-more-p-2.html

The new boards will not use the existing wiring to the capacitor.. just cap them off.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Looking at the pic of the model number I noticed I had linked the wrong manual, here's the correct one. The manual is confusing because they cover so many variations of this genset. Your genset does have an electronic regulator, the older spec ones in the other manual don't.

I could not find the wiring diagram for spec H, but the spec J diagram shows the controls complete with the voltage regulator,the external cap and the 12 pin Mate-N-Lock II connector on p151. The pinout of the connector is on p117.

As far as the fix, I agree 100% with 94-Newmar, replace the regulator with the either one he linked to and you'll be good to go. As he says, capping the wires, or even removing them from the connector if you feel confident about doing so will work fine, they are not connected to anything in the new regulator.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys for making it so easy to find and order the right part. Got the regulator on order and with a little luck it'll be here by the weekend!!

Tags
generator, lights