Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lippert Leveling Jack Intermittent Outage

Oh Sage RV Masters...Please help diagnose.

'07 Lippert hydraulic leveling system has worked flawlessly for years.

But, last weekend the system would not turn on...then after sitting a while, it worked.
When testing this week it has worked and failed intermittently. The control panel always runs the light test on engine start-up, but it just will not power-on - sometimes.

There is power where it is supposed to be, there are no damaged wires, and the fluid in the pump tank is full.

Is it the Control panel, the Controller, or something else that I haven't thought of?
What would you check?

Control panel and controller (P/N10540) pictured:
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2-1.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	71092

Name:	LCI 10540.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	79287

Thanks in advance
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Verify that all conductor connections are clean and tight; including frame ground. Are you getting control voltage and ground to the motor solenoid coil? If so then you have a bad solenoid. Being intermittent with good voltage to coil, the points in the solenoid are probably very pitted and/or corroded. Let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Look at my post on Lippert jacks. On their site they have test procedures and if you call them they are very helpful. My latest find.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/lippe...up-212983.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lippert-electric-leveling-troubleshooting-guide.pdf (282.6 KB, 714 views)
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Someone on one of the RV sites I read suggested this when mine would not work. "check and make sure the tank that supplies the pump is full". Danged it he wasn't right. Simple and I used about a 1/4 quart of AT fluid. Would do nothing until the fluid was at the right level.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pump tank is full, but yet they do not work.

Yesterday, the system would power-up but then would not go to Auto or Manual ...then quit powering on - again the intermittent failure.

I called Lippert and the Customer Service tech said to follow the troubleshooting guide in the manual...which I have done.

They said that the symptoms sounded like the Control Panel was failing vs. the controller.

So, I think I will be ordering a new panel - SKU 172225:
4 Point Control Panel W/ Amp Connector ā€“ Lippert Components, Inc Online Store
That's $366 unless I can find it elsewhere for less...ideas?

Thanks!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update: I have ordered over $800 worth of Lippert replacement parts (Control Panel...pigtail to correct change to a 4 pin connector...and now the Control Brain...and shipping and taxes).

Lippert Tech Support said the Control Panel (top photo in the first post, above) would cause the described issue (intermittent power on) and I was suspect, but followed their advice. The new Control Panel did not fix or even change the problem.

So I called them to ask for more advice...by deduction, Lippert agreed that the problem must be in the Control Brain, but they suggested professional service

In these parts, an appointment at a RV shop means about a 4 week wait, so I just followed my own original feeling and ordered the Control Brain (bottom photo in first post, above).

It is basically a plug and play install (with the pigtail from the original order). And, yep it is working perfectly...but that was another $326

Now the problem is what to do with the original/un-needed $366 Control Panel? Return to stock?
Yeah, No. Lippert's Customer Service operator says their policy is no returns on opened/used electrical parts !!!

I will be writing to dispute this policy since the original purchase was at the direction of Lippert Tech Support. If anyone has a point of contact at Lippert/LCI, please share. I would really appreciate it.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, let LCI know you are a moderator for a very highly rafficed RV Enthusiast websight and you would like to speak highly of their customer service if so give the chance. I have been able to use this tactic with good results.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Final update:
Wrote an e-mail to Lippert Customer Service last week (Thursday), explaining the situation as best I could - considering that the complaint will probably fall to someone new that has not yet talked to me.

I got a phone call today (Monday) from a LCI rep that explained that unused parts may be returned, but there is a 20% restock fee.

So off to UPS the unneeded $366 Control Panel goes. I am not arguing about their restock policy because 2 folks at LCI (Cheri Schmucker and Kaitlin Smith) took the time to call me at home to discuss my situation and helped with no attitude or problem.

As a DIY type, I really appreciate that LCI is willing to sell me parts direct...many companies do not do that. For parts like that I have to visit La Mesa RV (local RV super-shop). They are good to deal with, but have a high mark-up on everything. And, I got what I asked for (despite some bad advice by one of LCI's Tech Support folks) so it is really my fault for not just ordering the Control Brain in the first place.

So, if your LCI 4 Point Leveling System intermittently will not power-on, but the control panel will run its light test...just order a new Control Brain (PN 12656).

Name:	175226-New%20Brain-LARGE.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	79285

And if your coach is a few years old, don't forget the wire harness to adapt the 4 post (square) connector of the Control Panel wire to the new style (rectangle) connector.

Name:	178278-LARGE.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	79286

It is SO easy to swap parts...there is no reason to pay a shop to do this.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-18-2014, 02:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got some satisfaction on the part return issue.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more update...looking at the old Control Brain sitting on my tool box, I wondered "What is inside that thing to make it cost over $300?"

Took the cover screws out and cut the sticker (sticker is like a tamper seal on 3 sides) to find a rather complex circuit board with what looks like a computer CPU and several other logic modules. On the back side is a large capacitor and ceramic cube (resistor or heat sink?).

The sticker and circuit board are labeled IDS which was Innovative Design Solutions of Troy, MI...now a part of LCI:
https://www.amerigorv.com/news/lippe...ds-electronics

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	79681

According to the manual, the top right connection is for an air suspension control (dumps the suspension before the jacks drop). Not used on our Workhorse W24. The top left is the main power harness. The bottom right connects to the pump servos. The bottom left connects to the control panel.

There was no sign of wear or damage and being inside a sealed basement bin, it was as clean at when it was new. Interesting if nothing else.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

I had the same exact symptoms on my 2011 Thor Serrano 33A. I ordered the control brain, no help. Ordered the touch pad control , LCI part # 175225, and violo - works like new now.
jaunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jaunderwood,

And thanks for the feedback.

Thor Serrano? Does it have Workhorse chassis with the Front Engine Diesel (FRED) MaxxForce by Navistar? I would think that chassis/engine set would be awesome.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #13

Workhorse W20 chassis with Navistar FRED. I think it will be a good combo. Just got it last month, so a little early to judge.
jaunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lippert leveling jacks

Just wanted to make a quick reply for anyone else who may be browsing and comes up with the intermittent leveling jack issue described here: My leveling jacks on a '06 Damon Daybreak 3276 were functioning intermittently, but the retract jacks feature always worked. I called Lippert and they were helpful, and I checked voltage in a few areas with tech support on the phone everything was okay. Hmm, must be the solenoid. not sure though. Before I dug deeper I checked the simple things, checked connections in front by the pump/motor. all good. Next, I pulled off the keypad on the dash and with the engine running and the keypad lights on, I noticed no play in the wires on the back (there are 4 on the pigtail that go into this keypad) i notice that if I pushed it in just a little there was a connection and the jacks went down. Aww c'mon that can't be it! That's too easy. So I shut the engine off tried again and played with the wire, did this process several times that it was more than a coincidence. I simply taped the wire closer to the back of the keypad so it could not be pulled out or moved if I reach under the dash or something and it works. time will tell maybe wrote more than needed but just wanted to post that the little things work sometimes!
WIwoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling