Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Lithium ion battery

New development in RV battery.

Blog:
RVing Tips- RV LifeStyle - RV Travel Full Time RVing - RV Maintenance - RV Repair

Manufacturer:
RV Motorhome Trailer - Lithionics Battery
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #2

Ha.. no thanks.. Lithium batteries are far too unstable and do not do well with vibration. Lithium batteries were the cause that dropped a UPS freight airliner in Dubai last year.. the FAA has even banned them on most flights. Thermal runaway is still a problem with them regardless of the "generation". Nice articles.. but I'll pass.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Ha.. no thanks.. Lithium batteries are far too unstable and do not do well with vibration. Lithium batteries were the cause that dropped a UPS freight airliner in Dubai last year.. the FAA has even banned them on most flights. Thermal runaway is still a problem with them regardless of the "generation". Nice articles.. but I'll pass.
Time will tell.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting 19gc45.. I double checked and as I thought Lithium Ion is what the modern electric cars like the Chevy Volt use.. Of coruse being as that battery is built by a partership between GM and LG (Lucky Goldstar) I'm not too keen on it, Much as I'd like a Volt. I've never had an LG product work as advertised. Never.

Loking at the one (Manufacturer) link, Am I reading that correctly a GC-2 size battery is 12 volt at 200 amp hours, so If I were to replace my two U-2200's I'd get not 220 amp horus but 400 amp hours, in the same footprint.

To quote Tevye... "If I were a rich man", I'd be looking into this technology much closer.. I'd be considering buying such a thing, If I could afford.

But alas, not this year.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Interesting 19gc45.. I double checked and as I thought Lithium Ion is what the modern electric cars like the Chevy Volt use.. Of coruse being as that battery is built by a partership between GM and LG (Lucky Goldstar) I'm not too keen on it, Much as I'd like a Volt. I've never had an LG product work as advertised. Never.

Loking at the one (Manufacturer) link, Am I reading that correctly a GC-2 size battery is 12 volt at 200 amp hours, so If I were to replace my two U-2200's I'd get not 220 amp horus but 400 amp hours, in the same footprint.

To quote Tevye... "If I were a rich man", I'd be looking into this technology much closer.. I'd be considering buying such a thing, If I could afford.

But alas, not this year.
I'm waiting to learn more about these myself. The manufacturer's website info is still sketchy. Following the blog over the coming months should help.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
There are a number of different Lithium constructions. LiIon is very stable and has been used for quite a few years safely. The main supplier has been A123 Systems

LiPo construction on the other hand can easily catch fire and is used extesensivly in the remote control hobby.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyTalk View Post
There are a number of different Lithium constructions. LiIon is very stable and has been used for quite a few years safely. The main supplier has been A123 Systems

LiPo construction on the other hand can easily catch fire and is used extesensivly in the remote control hobby.
I don't know for sure, but the name--"Lithionics"-- would lead one to believe these are LiIon.
The A123 products look as though they could be manufactured for the same purpose without much deviation from their current processes. In fact, they make a lead acid replacement battery now. An internet search should turn up relevant pricing details.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19gc45 View Post
I don't know for sure, but the name--"Lithionics"-- would lead one to believe these are LiIon.
The A123 products look as though they could be manufactured for the same purpose without much deviation from their current processes. In fact, they make a lead acid replacement battery now. An internet search should turn up relevant pricing details.

Without spending all night, what I came up with is a motorcycle starting battery @ 180 USD [108 GBP]. Doesn't seem prohibitively expensive if A123's claims are accurate:

"Our robust ALMs last longer in the field making them ideal for remote locations and difficult installations, reducing your maintenance and replacement costs. For many applications, our ALMs result in a lower total cost of ownership (TCO) over lead acid due to reduced maintenance and service costs, reduced shipping and material handling costs and lower total inventory carrying costs."

They don't offer numbers for battery life compared to lead acid.
Presumably prices will come down.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
wa8yxm said:
-----------------------------------------
I've never had an LG product work as advertised. Never.
-----------------------------------------------------

That's two of us. All I can say for LG is that they are consistent.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #10

This is also being discussed here: Lithium Ion Batteries for RVs - Escapees Discussion Forum
I visited the OP's blog website and read about his "testing" of 2 new batteries. I must wait and see how this develops before getting off the fence on this issue. He said the mfgr. built 2 batteries for his MH, one for starting and one for a house battery_ with a capacity of 2,000A.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Been in these motorbikes for a few years now...
Electric Motorcycle || CLEANEST || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

I fly e-powered RC planes and have 30 or so lipoly packs of various sizes for my planes...a real big one WOULD make me a bit nervous as I have seen them puff and burn up in a plane crash....
Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Been in these motorbikes for a few years now...
Electric Motorcycle || CLEANEST || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

I fly e-powered RC planes and have 30 or so lipoly packs of various sizes for my planes...a real big one WOULD make me a bit nervous as I have seen them puff and burn up in a plane crash....
This product is LiFePO4--not polymer--which apparently addresses the stability issue.