Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Looking for 50amp Shore Power Cable

We have a "50amp buddy plug" on our MH that is connected to the generator. I had an electrician install a transfer switch and 50amp twist lock receptacle next to the MH.

Now I'm looking for a shore power cord too plug into the MH and our house for when the power goes out.

Male, four flat pins and twist-lock female on the other end.

What is the best that I can buy. I don't want to buy a cheap cord, I'm willing to pay for a really good one!

Thanks!
1999 Prevost XLV-Liberty Elegant Lady #405
2011 Chevy HHR
2014 Bravo 26' enclosed race trailer
Dick in Wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Are you trying to power your stick house with your motorhome generator? If so that gets complicated....and expensive.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgchampagne View Post
Are you trying to power your stick house with your motorhome generator? If so that gets complicated....and expensive.
Correct. I had a master electrician install an appropriate transfer switch and receptacle that will accept a twist lock plug. The MH has a 50amp "buddy plug". So I've spent the big money. All I need now is a good quality cord to run between the MH and the house.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Not following you. You have installed a 50 amp female outlet on your motor home and want the motor home's generator to power the house? The electrician installed a 50 amp male plug on outside of the house? If so just get a marine 50 amp shore power cord.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Not following you. You have installed a 50 amp female outlet on your motor home and want the motor home's generator to power the house? The electrician installed a 50 amp male plug on outside of the house? If so just get a marine 50 amp shore power cord.
Your assumptions are correct. All the marine shore power cords I've looked at (Marinco and Hubbell) have twist lock plugs on both ends ... which appears to be standard fare for marine applications.

I need the male end to be a traditional RV style. Does this make sense?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick in Wisc View Post
Your assumptions are correct. All the marine shore power cords I've looked at (Marinco and Hubbell) have twist lock plugs on both ends ... which appears to be standard fare for marine applications.

Yes, now it does. I had never heard of that being done before so I wanted to make sure I understood you correctly. What I'd do then is buy a traditional 50 amp RV extension cord, cut the female end off and replace it with a locking 50 amp female connector such as found on this page.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

Duplicate removed.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #8

Make sure your electrician knows a rv is wired differently from house wiring. Stored a brand new fifth for a guy who done the say as you BUT the electrician was not informed. $30000 later and loss of use the problem went away so be careful.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which type of "Twist Lock" did the Electrician install.

The "Standard" for RV use is a Marinco type connector. if it is a 50 amnp you will see 3 CURVED pins and a ball bearing off to the side. This takes a standard 50 amp RV cord you can find at any RV store.. Now I have several such cords. one 50 amp, one 30 amp with a 50 amp female end (RV end) and one each extension cord.. Most of them are the standard BLACK jobs and can be a pain to coil up when cold.
The 30 amp shore cord (currently in use) is a brightly colored job that was originally an extension cord. it's cold weather rated and even at sub freezing temps coils easily.. I recommend such a cord.

The alternative 50 amp connector has 4 pins, no ball bearing if you have that type of connector on the RV you will need to get a matching socket at Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards, Joe's Hardware or wherev er and a 50 amp cord from an RV dealer with no outlet,, just wire leads.

Or you can get the cable at any Electrical supply and put your own plugs and sockets on. I've done that too. 6Ga please.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What generator do you have in your coach? Does it provide 240 volt or 120 volt?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick in Wisc View Post

Here's one I bought last year to make a 50amp extension out of. It's very good quality with a molded on male plug. You can wire whatever adapter you need on the other end.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
What generator do you have in your coach? Does it provide 240 volt or 120 volt?
Kohler generator. 20kW and 240 volts as far as I know. I'll post some pictures of the buddy plug receptacle in the MH and the receptacle on the house in the morning if it isn't showing too bad.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Make sure your electrician knows a rv is wired differently from house wiring. Stored a brand new fifth for a guy who done the say as you BUT the electrician was not informed. $30000 later and loss of use the problem went away so be careful.
In what way is the MH wired differently than a House?

The house has 240 ... two 120 volt legs (a black and a red), a ground (green) and a neutral (white).

The MH has 240 ... two 120 volt legs (a black and a red) , a ground (green) and a neutral (white).

I already plug the MH into the 50amp, 240 volt RV outlet from the house for shore power. I hope I'm not missing something.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #14

you'll have to confirm that your coach is actually a true 240v system... most motorhomes are actually 120v systems, using incoming 'split' hot legs from a 240v system wiring, thru a double-pole 50amp breaker(s)... which is different.

the reason RVs use a 50amp 'rv service' split 120v wiring is because a single 100amp Shore Cord would be terribly unwieldy and very difficult to store and handle.

your 1999 Prevost XLV-Liberty Elegant Lady #405 could very well be a 240v system, but contacting Liberty might be your best way to find out - they probably also have your wiring system schematics available.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power, cable