Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Lost power today-2010 Newmar Dutch Aire

This afternoon at about 4pm, while at a cg in Tx, we lost power to the coach for about 3-4 minutes before it came back on. It ran for another 3-4 minutes before shutting down again but this time it only stayed off for 15-20 seconds before coming back on and has been on since The progressive energy mgement system showed high ac voltage L-1. The power pedestal showed 124v on each leg so that apperars to be ok. At the time of occurrence, we were running (2) roof 15K dometic airs, 1 washer and dryer, traveler satellite dish and tv, 1 1200 volt ac element from the Oasis system plus a few misc lights, etc. If I was over extended on L-1, I thought the energy management system was supposed to shed items temporarily so this doesn't happed. Thoughts...……….
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #2

Ask around the park , particularly your neighbors , to see if anyone else is having power issues.

JMHO: 124 volts at the post in a park , that probably has multiple RVs running A/C units , sounds pretty high , and could easily spike to trigger the EMS into protect mode.
I don't have an EMS , just a surge guard , so I have to ask .
At what volts does your system shut down?

My understanding of the EMS system is that shedding takes place when the voltage available is drawn down to the LOW limit; the only way the EMS can protect the RV systems from high voltage is to shut down.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
We are using a portable Surge Guard 50A which plugs into the power pedestal along with the Progressive Energy Management System installed in our MH. The Surge Guard will shut us down when voltage goes below 106v or 0ver 128-130 I believe. My thinking is we were running quite a bit of stuff when it happened but I'm still a little unsure as to the meaning of the Progressive Management System wording of High AC voltage on Line 1. Electricity is not and never has been my strong point.
BTW, no one on either side of use had any power issues at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ask around the park , particularly your neighbors , to see if anyone else is having power issues.

JMHO: 124 volts at the post in a park , that probably has multiple RVs running A/C units , sounds pretty high , and could easily spike to trigger the EMS into protect mode.
I don't have an EMS , just a surge guard , so I have to ask .
At what volts does your system shut down?

My understanding of the EMS system is that shedding takes place when the voltage available is drawn down to the LOW limit; the only way the EMS can protect the RV systems from high voltage is to shut down.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
We lost power again today about 9p. Had just arrived back to the MH and about 5 minutes or so after turning on the satellite and tv, the ac power went out for less than a minute, came back on for 10 seconds or so, went out again a second time, then came back on about 10-15 seconds late and stayed on. This time the Progressive EMS panel showed error message "PE-5- Line 2 voltage high-voltage above 132. Yesterday the error message was PE-3-Line 1 voltage high-Voltage above 132. Yesterday we were running quite a few more things at the time but tonight there was nothing big running. Matter of fact, I had just looked at the EMS readout screen and it showed L-1 (122v-3A) and L-2 (122v-3A) Any other ideas on possible causes folks?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We lost power again today about 9p. Had just arrived back to the MH and about 5 minutes or so after turning on the satellite and tv, the ac power went out for less than a minute, came back on for 10 seconds or so, went out again a second time, then came back on about 10-15 seconds late and stayed on. This time the Progressive EMS panel showed error message "PE-5- Line 2 voltage high-voltage above 132. Yesterday the error message was PE-3-Line 1 voltage high-Voltage above 132. Yesterday we were running quite a few more things at the time but tonight there was nothing big running. Matter of fact, I had just looked at the EMS readout screen and it showed L-1 (122v-3A) and L-2 (122v-3A) Any other ideas on possible causes folks?
This sounds like a park problem. I believe some of these places adjust the voltage taps up on their systems to handle the heavy ac loads during all these warm temps. Heavy loads drop voltage. If the gc empty's out,voltage goes up. Then again,it could be the utility provider switching loads on the lines. Heck, it could be a whole host of things. I think your Progressive is doing what it's suppose to do,dropping out on high voltage. There should be a time delay before re-energizing when voltage returns to normal so you dont get cycling. I think 10 or 15 seconds, I dont remember. If you have a true energy management system,that would monitor an overload condition. These are usually built in to your house breaker panel and when you start maxing out your 50a, it senses and starts shedding prioritized loads. I hope any of this can shed some light. I would not rely the neighbors unless they have some proof that they have stable voltage. They may be frying as we speak. This is also a great argument for a Hughs Autotransformer to stabilize your incoming power.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks Props

The people on both sides supposedly have surge/management stuff and have not
did not lose power when we did last night and the day before. Just for grins and giggles, I'm going to ask the office to let me move to another spot. They did check the voltage input the first time we had an issue and it shoed 124 v coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
This sounds like a park problem. I believe some of these places adjust the voltage taps up on their systems to handle the heavy ac loads during all these warm temps. Heavy loads drop voltage. If the gc empty's out,voltage goes up. Then again,it could be the utility provider switching loads on the lines. Heck, it could be a whole host of things. I think your Progressive is doing what it's suppose to do,dropping out on high voltage. There should be a time delay before re-energizing when voltage returns to normal so you dont get cycling. I think 10 or 15 seconds, I dont remember. If you have a true energy management system,that would monitor an overload condition. These are usually built in to your house breaker panel and when you start maxing out your 50a, it senses and starts shedding prioritized loads. I hope any of this can shed some light. I would not rely the neighbors unless they have some proof that they have stable voltage. They may be frying as we speak. This is also a great argument for a Hughs Autotransformer to stabilize your incoming power.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
An electrician should check the connections in the pedestal, especially the neutral.
When a voltage goes very much above nominal, a loose, or corroded neutral is many times the culprit. It is supposed to anchor the midpoint of the 120/240 volt system to ground voltage, however when a neutral is not available to do that, it floats, and when a load is placed on one side of the system, the voltage to it drops, and the other side rises.
BobbtheEE
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The system, stated the issue. High AC Voltage.
Your surge guard did it job based on it's internal settings.
Your EMS, does it job when NOT enough voltage or current (30 Vs 50 amps).

I bet if you read your owners manual it would tell you this.

Another item, did you notice, other units that did not HAVE a surge guard or progressive system. They did not experience your issue and went about life happily.

Being in the electrical and electronics area, I have sometimes turn my Progressive off due to high AC voltage. Meaning 130 VAC. many people will gasped at this. However, if you know your equipment and have worked on them for many years (40+). You would understand. The only real AC items are compressors, internal and external fan motors (A/C units). Electric heating elements. These items are tested at a higher voltage then what they state in the specifications. Most if all others items use a AC to DC converter, including but not limited to TV's, laptops, satellite, Inverter/charger systems.

As a side note, my Magnum PSW, will operate down to 48 VAC, with no problems. This is stated inside the manufacturer's specification.

Enjoy life.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Update. I disconnected my 10yr old 50A portable Surge Guard from the pedestal today after discussions with several other members of our rally group at the cg. Many felt that it was not needed since I already had the built-I Progressive built in system and being my portable system was 10yrs old, it has been used heavily in that time and "might" be starting to have problems. The parks incoming power to my pedestal was checked and found to be 124v along with several on each side of me. The power coming from the Portable Surge Guard was jumping up and down when tested. "Knock on wood" but there have been "ZERO" problems since disconnecting it. Kind of reminds me of the problems when running (2) anti-virus systems on a pc at the same time. Keeping my fingers crossed for now.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #10
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Well no joy. Last night starting at around 5-5:30p-7p, the mh lost all "ac" power on 3 occasions at the receptacles inside but the roof airs kept running????? Error message shows PE-7 (line frequency high)-line frequency above 69 cycles per second. The first & second time this crap started again yesterday, I shut off all breakers on the ac side and inverter side then waited several minutes before turning everyone back on. Ac powered up each time but then shut sown gain after minutes. Finally gave up and ran the gennie all night without incident. Friend who used to work at the Cummins Onan/Spartan service center is supposed to stop by today after work. This is beginning to rally suck big time...
Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

Lost power today-2010 Newmar Dutch Aire

Have you checked for loose connections inside the transfer switch? Perhaps a loose neutral on the shore power input might be causing frequency fluctuations. I’m no electrician but that’s what I experienced but on the generator side.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Have you checked for loose connections inside the transfer switch? Perhaps a loose neutral on the shore power input might be causing frequency fluctuations. I’m no electrician but that’s what I experienced but on the generator side.
Inside of the transfer switch box and the Progressive EMS box, 5-6 connections were maybe 1/4 turn from being tight. Additionally, the small computer board inside the Progressive EMS system box apparently is known to fail/become less than reliable possibly causing issues similar to mine. The 50A power cord plug from the MH will be replaced along with the items just mentioned as the prongs that plug in are corroded, loose and have obviously gotten hot in the past. I sure don't remember these types of fun things happening when we started "tent" camping 25 yrs ago.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Update: On Friday 09/21/18, I ordered a new Progressive Dynamic EMS 50A hardwired and a new Progressive Dynamic PD52 Auto Transfer Switch 50a. Today, both were installed between 10:30a-1:00p. In the next 30-25 minutes, I incurred (2) brief shutdowns of ac power with the first showing no error code and the second showing an error code of PE-7-(Line Frequency High-67Hz)should be 60Hz +- 1-2.
At 2:45p another brief 15-30 second shutdown/reboot of ac power with an error code of PE-5(L-2 High Voltage)
At 5:25p another brief 15-30 second shutdown/reboot with and error message of PE-5(L-2 High Voltage).
Right after the install completion at 1p, the incoming voltage from the park was checked with a "Fluke" brand meter and found to be stable @ 119-120 range. A few minutes later, several temp spikes were noted: 128v 129v 131.5v etc but then settled back to the 19-120 range. This is really starting to tick me off.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
What a PITA! Nothing worse than throwing money at a problem. I assume they moved you to a new location and still having the same problem??

I will say, one shot voltage measurements are for the most part useless for problems like this. A data logger would give a complete evaluation, but you would need the service of an electrical contractor for that. Not cheap either but the voltage/current/frequency trends would show themselves clearly over a period of time,say 4 to 6 hours.

I have installed Progressive system in my coach and it has been flawless. Maybe you can plug into your neighbors "good power" for several hours and see if it continues.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, newmar, power