Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #1

LP water heater

I have an atwood 6 gallon water heater and I think I am having some sort of weird problem.

When I first got my travel trailer a few months ago I was having trouble with the pilot flame going in and out so I just switched it to electric, but the problem with this is that the water didn't get too hot. Now that the weather has gotten colder, I'm not getting any hot water from using the electric, so I switched it to gas. I'm not having any trouble with the pilot flame now, but when I check the temperature pressure release valve, the water is boiling hot, but when I run the hot water out of my sinks it is coming out at room temperature. I have no idea what the problem could be.

This is an 09 Jayco jayflight G2.

Thank you!
JoshGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

There are a couple of areas to check. First, there is usually a series of valves that are intended to bypass the water heater when winterizing. Check that one of them is not leaking or in the wrong position. Second, the water lines are usually not insulated and if any of the HW lines run in or near an unheated area the water can cool rather quickly. third, the new/newer W/H's have a factory preset thermostat and as such are a real pain in the behind to do anything with. They should be preset around 140 degrees. At that point it is quite possible for the relief valve to leak/bypass a bit. If by the pilot flame, you mean the main burner then all you need to do is clean and adjust the mixer tube. That is the sheet metal tube that is held in place by a single screw and when that screw is loosened it can be slid in/out. This is intended to adjust the burner for a nice blue flame, no soot. I have also seen spiders get in ther and create all sorts of havoc.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There are a couple of areas to check. First, there is usually a series of valves that are intended to bypass the water heater when winterizing. Check that one of them is not leaking or in the wrong position. Second, the water lines are usually not insulated and if any of the HW lines run in or near an unheated area the water can cool rather quickly. third, the new/newer W/H's have a factory preset thermostat and as such are a real pain in the behind to do anything with. They should be preset around 140 degrees. At that point it is quite possible for the relief valve to leak/bypass a bit. If by the pilot flame, you mean the main burner then all you need to do is clean and adjust the mixer tube. That is the sheet metal tube that is held in place by a single screw and when that screw is loosened it can be slid in/out. This is intended to adjust the burner for a nice blue flame, no soot. I have also seen spiders get in ther and create all sorts of havoc.
Thank you!
JoshGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #4

The thermostats Don mentioned are secured tightly to the tank, if they jostle away, the water will get too hot, usually activating the relief valve. There is an access panel on the outside to view the thermostats and insure they are tight to the tank. Make sure to replace the insulation before re-attaching the panel.
What this means to me is, Donn is dead-on with the valves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote