Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MaxAir fan problem

I have a five year old MaxAir Vent fan. It has worked OK up until this year when it started to hang up on opening. The lid seemed to have warped and I either had to lubricate the inside of the lid periodically or help it to open using the knob. Two years ago I found a crack at the hinge in the rear and now I have found another and a much bigger one on the front. A piece fell off while I was examining it.

It has deteriorated due to UV. Just in case you run into this problem I do have a plan. I sanded the surface and cleaned it with alcohol. I taped it together and epoxied the cracks that weren't under the tape. Tomorrow I will epoxy the rest of the cracks. I will spray paint the entire lid with some good outdoor enamel paint. The major paint makers all use plenty of UV protection because their reputation depends on performance.I think that the plastic makers leave out the UV protection because these things will be out of warranty or not covered anyway. The paint doubles the life and will save a half gone piece. It is getting to the point where some people I know of automatically paint their new plastic before installing it. I'll send more pics as I go.
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

IIWMI'd use FlexSet epoxy by Marinetex (amazon). It'll stick to anything. I'd use a thin piece of plastic like off a flat-ish blister pack for a reinforcing at the big crack. Then paint as you suggest.

The FlexSet will repair a poly tank, which is tough for most glues.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In this pic I have repaired it. I thank those who have suggested their favorite bonding agents but I already have Epoxy resin and a variety of modifiers that I have used in boat repair so I used an epoxy mixed with a bonding and thickening agent. Regular Epoxy does not stick to this plastic even when sanded lightly and cleaned with solvent. Coarse sanding was needed along with the bonding agent. I have re-coated the roof since so I won't be able to get to it far 3-4 days. I plan to check for adhesion and probably sand and add fiberglass mat to the repaired area and add another coat of epoxy with bonding filler this time. Then probably sand smooth before painting. It is way too much work but I don't want to have to replace the vent fan soon. Then I will paint with a good thickness of Rustoleum gloss white. Light will still come through the paint so it will still provide some lighting. I have already painted the bathroom skylight to reduce the ferocious heat that comes through in the summer. It reduces the heat and glare but still lets enough light through.

More pics to follow.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am getting tired of being up on that roof so I just gave it two coats ob paint without making it flat. I did rough up the entire lid with 220 grit first. I also painted the exposed parts of the base.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189

Tags
fan