Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

Question MH Dometic NDR 1292 Refrigerator Stopped Working?

I have a Dometic NDR 1292 refrigerator in my MH that has stopped working. The last few weeks it would work for 2-3 days then stop for 2-3 days then start working again, then stop again. Now the refrigerator does not work. I switched the refrigerator over the propane and does not work on propane.

I appreciate any advise/help with troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #2

In case you don't have a manual:

http://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-c...te-NDR1292.pdf
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

Verify the condition of your batteries and converter before going too far. If your batteries are weak you may not be getting enough power to operate the 12 volt control system even when plugged in.

Also check for any yellow stains when you open the outside service panel for the unit. Yellow stains means that the refrigerant is leaking out.

When you open the service panel outside your rig when on electric power you should hear a buzzing sound if the electric heating element is working. On propane you should hear a snapping sound when the igniter activates and then hear the burner ignite and sound of the flame which should be like a strong pilot light.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel8 View Post
I have a Dometic NDR 1292 refrigerator ....work for 2-3 days then stop for 2-3 days then start working again, then stop again. Now the refrigerator does not work. ...does not work on propane.

I appreciate any advise/help with troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks.

Travel8.....
NOTE: Do you smell ammonia? If yes, it's leaking and dangerous. Shut off the power to the fridge and call a tech. The cooling unit is dead.

Are you adept at all with electrical troubleshooting and use of a meter? Since neither AC nor propane will power your unit, it sounds to me like your problem is likely located in the controller board on the lower rear of the unit, accessible by removing the lower external vent louvre. It is found by opening a plastic enclosure, about 4x5 inches, that you'll see there. The board uses DC power to control and switch the AC or propane energy sources.

First thing to do is take a look, checking for any obvious signs of charring or damage on the card. Make a note of the circuit board part number, if you can. In your vintage it probably starts with 293xxx... , but may start with 385xxx.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Travel8.....
NOTE: Do you smell ammonia? If yes, it's leaking and dangerous. Shut off the power to the fridge and call a tech. The cooling unit is dead.

Are you adept at all with electrical troubleshooting and use of a meter? Since neither AC nor propane will power your unit, it sounds to me like your problem is likely located in the controller board on the lower rear of the unit, accessible by removing the lower external vent louvre. It is found by opening a plastic enclosure, about 4x5 inches, that you'll see there. The board uses DC power to control and switch the AC or propane energy sources.

First thing to do is take a look, checking for any obvious signs of charring or damage on the card. Make a note of the circuit board part number, if you can. In your vintage it probably starts with 293xxx... , but may start with 385xxx.
No ammonia smell.
Yes, I have a meter
I do not see any signs of charring or damage on the card.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Verify the condition of your batteries and converter before going too far. If your batteries are weak you may not be getting enough power to operate the 12 volt control system even when plugged in.

Also check for any yellow stains when you open the outside service panel for the unit. Yellow stains means that the refrigerant is leaking out.

When you open the service panel outside your rig when on electric power you should hear a buzzing sound if the electric heating element is working. On propane you should hear a snapping sound when the igniter activates and then hear the burner ignite and sound of the flame which should be like a strong pilot light.

When on electric I'm not hearing the buzzing the sound of the electric heating element.

When switched to propane I hear the burner ignite and the sound like a pilot light but does not cool the refrigerator.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
Community Moderator

on my coach, i had two ndr1292's; each lasted for 7 years; until i installed a residential. people are complaining about norcold 1200, i don't see dometic 1292 any better. if not for a spesific reason you want to keep it, to save your time and headache, i would recommend you looking at residential's. that is the ultimate solution.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
When switched to propane I hear the burner ignite and the sound like a pilot light but does not cool the refrigerator.
It sounds like the gas is working... It will have a small flame, almost resembling a pilot light.. The flue baffle should be warm (you may need to remove a baffle cover)

The upper part of the flue should be warm when you are on electric..

One final question: The frig is level???

If the frig is level and the propane and electric are heating the flue, It sounds like a bad cooling unit....
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, refrigerator