Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Microwave issue Monaco Class A

Has anyone had trouble getting their convection/microwave oven to heat for longer than 1 minute? We just bought the new RV and putting in 5 minutes on either microwave or convection cooking it will only heat one minute and stop. Then we have to hit start again. I thought I had figured it out because I found it was on a "mix" setting but even with that off I can't get it to cook longer. Any ideas?

First time on one of these forums...
Ivana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2. What brand is your oven? Do you have the user manual for it?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ivana
We have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty that came with a Sharp Carousel combination Microwave/Convection oven and we have never experienced an issue with limited operation time. It has always functioned as it should, and has performed as long as the timer is set for.

A couple of thing you may want to check.
Is the problem occurring when you are trying to operate off of the inverter and if so have you verified the AC voltage in the circuit when it is operating.
Likewise, if the problem is when connected to shore power, and not running off of the inverter, you may want to also verify that you have sufficient voltage during operation.

The voltage issue may also be related to how many electrical devices you are trying to operate at one time, especially if running off of the inverter, or connected to shore power that is lacking sufficient voltage or a loss of power related to voltage drop in the electricL circuit in the RV that powers the microwave/convection oven.

Hope this provides some opportunities to check to enable you to correct the problem.

Good Luck and Happy RV'g

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Actually the magic number is probably 59 seconds and then it turns off.

You have a failed damper motor and possibly the damper micro switch.

Is it the microwave a Sharp Model 1850 or the 1870?

I have the service manual for the 1870 which is very similar to the 1850 that I can post if you need it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This was a very common problem with these. Don't throw it out, it's a very easy repair. Your microwave is on your inverter circuit and was probably used while being powered my the inverter. Personally, I NEVER run my microwave (Sharp, same as yours) on the inverter. I did when new a couple of times and it moaned and groaned. I think using them with the inverter is the cause of the problem you're having.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #6

Wow what great info. It is the Sharp 1870 and thanks for the offer I do have the manual. Sounds like I need a repair and not a new unit. That's good news. I was using shore power but maybe the previous owners used the inverter. I'll use shore power after I get it fixed.

Thanks everyone.

Ivana
Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ivana...Read this link down towards the bottom, it explains about the damper as Dr4Film explained. Sharp micro counts down 59 seconds and stops - FixYa
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Don brings up an excellent point regarding the use of microwaves on inverter power.

I will never use the microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer or anything that draws a significant amount of amps without having the generator on.

Occasionally we have made a mistake and put something into the microwave and started it but the groaning sound of the microwave alerts us immediately and we turn it off until the generator is up and running. Using the microwave often is a habit that we cannot change BUT we know immediately when it is underpowered and by doing that often will shorten the life of the microwave considerably.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you have an inverter then double check what the wattage is of it and the microwave/convection oven. We just had to replace both because the previous owners put in a 1650 watt microwave/convection oven with a 1500 watt modified wave inverter. We just changed out to a 3000 watt pure sine inverter and the same brand and everything for the microwave. Big difference when the inverter actually has the power to run things.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #10

Problem solved!

Great link Diplomat Don. It even has a sketch on how my husband can fix it. Thanks all!

Ivana

Tags
monaco