Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #1

Microwave Removal

My unit has failed. For the life of me I can't figure out how to remove it. It is a Sharp convection unit. Any help would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #2

hehe.. they are quite a puzzle aren't they? Remove any light covers, grease filters, etc etc. On the bottom, you will see two 7/16" or 3/8" headed inch bolts that are threaded up into the chassis at an angle. These are generally within about 6" of either side and more towards the front of the unit. Remove those and the unit will hinge downward from the back. Those bolts are as long as your unit is tall.. they're long :-)
Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In this link, this forum you will find info to remove your micro.
GO to bottom of link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
hehe.. they are quite a puzzle aren't they? Remove any light covers, grease filters, etc etc. On the bottom, you will see two 7/16" or 3/8" headed inch bolts that are threaded up into the chassis at an angle. These are generally within about 6" of either side and more towards the front of the unit. Remove those and the unit will hinge downward from the back. Those bolts are as long as your unit is tall.. they're long :-)
On mine those bolts are about 12" long
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Before you remove it have you checked to see if there is a inline fuse under the light cover. I had my microwave of a different brand (don't remember what brand now, sold that motor home) that quit & after I removed it I found a fuse that was easily accessible without removing the microwave that had blown.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I found those bolts and loosened them but the unit wouldn't swing down. I loosened them until the were loose in the unit but I didn't remove the completely. Do they need to be removed completely?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

Anybody have any other ideas? This thing won't budge. I just hope I can find a fuse as this thing costs $550.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The top 2-3 inches should be a removable cover. Getting that off should reveal the bolts that go vertical into an upper cabinet. Or go into the above cabinet and remove the 'floor' to expose the bolt ends and nuts. You'll have to eventually do both anyway. (Unless the nuts are secured, then you can just un-screw bolts from the bottom).

The back bottom of the MW is resting on a plate bolted to the wall. Removing the verticle bolts will allow the top of the MW to fall aweay from the wall and it will be out.

Any fuses are behind the control panel on the MW. At least all this was true on the 2 I have had to R&R.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
rpk

Convection Oven

My GE failed. It was held in by being clipped to an upper rear shelf - had to be lifted up to clear the lip. Problem was the very last relay I checked - the one that protects against overheat. Found it by tried and true wire tracing from power input to whatever stopped the electricity. $1.50 part.

Good luck.
rpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #10

Well it's finally out. Winny had added a couple of "L" brackets for added security. It was hidden by a filler piece which was a floater above the microwave. Checked the fuses & they were good. Hope a repair shop can help.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This may be a dumb question

But did you check the plug?

I thought my convection oven was fried and found it was one of the breakers on my converter/inverter.

Not to worry, GE is fairly good with replacement parts.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

The plug had power. I wish it had been that simple.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #13

My last post on this thing. Low voltage relay on control board inop. $150 for new control board which is better than buying a new unit for $550. Last trip we did encounter a low voltage problem that also caused the A/C breakers to trip. Have now ordered a Progressive monitor that I had procrastinated in buying. Don't hesitate, buy one!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #14

Wood trim above mw is stuck in with Velcro. Pry it out, and you'll find two more screws.
Bob cox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal