Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Microwave Replacement

Power surge killed our over-the-range microwave oven, a Sharp model, which seems is now obsolete. RV tech (who checked all of our electrical issues) tried to tell us we needed to purchase a “special RV” unit online. Husband instead ordered one in appliance store, telling them it was for an RV. When the man brought it to install, he looked at our old one, then refused, saying it wouldn’t work. We got our money back. I’m not finding much of anything online. Do we need to just go buy another one and install it ourselves?
mrsweeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Dometic makes an rv microwave
Old 08-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsweeble View Post
When the man brought it to install, he looked at our old one, then refused, saying it wouldn’t work. We got our money back.

Did it not fit the hole where the other one was? Sort of confused on "it wouldn't work". It's a 120 volt unit and I assume the replacement was too.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours was intermittent and finally went bad last spring. It was originally a convection microwave. We never used the convection oven, so we decided to replace it with a standard ole Hamilton Beach microwave from Walmart. ($70)

Here is a short article on how we did it:

Microwave Oven replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

If it was like mine that came in the RV it had 2 long screws going on a 45% angle to the back wall through the microwave. When I bought the replacement over the range house style it had a bracket for the back wall but it was also suppose to be supported from the top by screws. That would have been fine but I don't have cupboard above it for access. I was still able to make mine work but not the way it was intended to be mounted.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Power surge killed our over-the-range microwave oven, a Sharp model, which seems is now obsolete. RV tech (who checked all of our electrical issues) tried to tell us we needed to purchase a “special RV” unit online. Husband instead ordered one in appliance store, telling them it was for an RV. When the man brought it to install, he looked at our old one, then refused, saying it wouldn’t work. We got our money back. I’m not finding much of anything online. Do we need to just go buy another one and install it ourselves?

There are three things that you can do, to help us sort out your problem. First identify the manufacturer, model, and production year of your RV. Second, take a photo of the hole where the old microwave used to live. Third, identify the make and model of your inverter, and tell us whether you intend to operate the microwave, even for a few minutes, on the inverter instead of shore or generator power.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ View Post
Did it not fit the hole where the other one was? Sort of confused on "it wouldn't work". It's a 120 volt unit and I assume the replacement was too.

Griz

I think he thought because there wasn’t a shelf to put it on, he couldn’t install it. I don’t know. I was confused, too.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Dometic makes an rv microwave

I’ve looked at the dimensions: it’s very tiny.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
There are three things that you can do, to help us sort out your problem. First identify the manufacturer, model, and production year of your RV. Second, take a photo of the hole where the old microwave used to live. Third, identify the make and model of your inverter, and tell us whether you intend to operate the microwave, even for a few minutes, on the inverter instead of shore or generator power.

Our RV is a 2014 KZ StoneRidge 5th wheel. Maybe I need to rephrase my question. Is there really such a thing as “made for RV” microwaves or are they just residential models mounted differently? I know nothing about our inverter; we are always on shore power. Thank you for your help!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6339.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	616.1 KB
ID:	213773
Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #10

There are microwave ovens marketed toward RVs, but there is nothing special about them that makes them better for RV use than other brands. I haven’t seen a single one of these “RV” units that wasn’t a complete piece of garbage. I would stick with the major brands. I have been told that there are really only four manufacturers that make microwaves for the USA market, those being LG, Sharp, Panasonic, and GE. All other brands of microwaves are built by these companies with someone else’s name on them.

If, in fact, the Sharp model that died is no longer available, you may find another Sharp unit that uses the same mounting system. It looks like you have an external vent, and you will probably want to retain that functionality with the new unit. If you have the skills and tools to rebuild the mounting points for another brand or style of microwave, or can hire someone who can do it for you, then you have more choices. If you don’t want to go in that expensive direction, I would take the old microwave, along with your photo, to a real appliance store and ask for help to identify a replacement that uses the same mounting system. I have no confidence in Home Depot or Lowe’s for this type of thing. You could also ask Sharp’s customer service to help identify a bolt-in replacement.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Our RV is a 2014 KZ StoneRidge 5th wheel. Maybe I need to rephrase my question. Is there really such a thing as “made for RV” microwaves or are they just residential models mounted differently? I know nothing about our inverter; we are always on shore power. Thank you for your help!Attachment 213773
That looks exactly like what came with the one I replaced my old one with. It hooks on the bottom then the microwave tilts up. My problem was I had no way to screw it from the top.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #12

Mounting the microwave

I have a 2005 Dutchstar. My microwave browned out due to a corroded wall plug. I had to replace the microwave and the receptacle.

My original GE “home” microwave installed by Newmar had four total screws drilled through the sidewall of the metal microwave sidewall. I purchased a new Sharp “house” microwave from Best Buy. I had to remove the door and some trim in order to drill through it’s sidewall. I predrilled the holes so they would align with the existing holes in my cabinet.

It is working fine.
All_Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced our MW - it was also suggested that I find one built for RVs. After considerable discussion with appliance dealers/repair shops and RV repair shops it was clear that a special MW was not necessary. We did carefully match the MW's wattage to our inverter's output since we often boondock and use the MW for 3 - 5 minutes. When needed for longer times we start the generator.

Your picture appears to show a wood board mounted to the ceiling that is placed further forward then the wall. Is it possible that your last MW had a bracket attached to the top of it (screwed down through the 2 manufactured screw holes in the top of the MW) that mounted to that board? That is a common method used to mount MWs in RVs.

Also note that the existing mounting bracket on the rear wall can be removed and the new, built for the specific MW, mounting bracket (included with all new MWs) can be reinstalled at the correct height. I shimmed our new bracket with wood to mount the new MW at the correct cabinet depth, and also shimmed the ceiling mounting bracket to match.

This is a very doable project for an average DIY person - an extra set of strong hands will be helpful when remounting the MW. Glad to help with questions.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #14

If you had a Sharp over-the-range microwave in your RV, it was likely the Sharp 1874. That model, now discontinued, has been replaced with the Sharp 1881. Same size and mounting bracket, plus the door opens up inside the frame, just like the 1874. I’m soon to replace my less-than-reliable 10-year old 1874 with this newer model. You can find them for about $550 online.
Howermj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, microwave, replace, replacement