Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had the mineral oil in my batteries since 2004 and have not experienced any problems with anything other than the rubber gaskets on the caps have deteriorated. Have never had a venting problem or clog. I suppose if I lived in Alaska or MN or WI I might. Nor does driving seem to mix the oil/electrolyte.

Of course Thermoil is going to say not to use mineral oil, they want to sell you their stuff.

Maybe synthetic engine oil would work? It won't mix and it'll stay fluid at low temps.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #44

The older I get, the more skeptical I get about everything. I don't believe anything I hear/read and only half of what I see.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The older I get, the more skeptical I get about everything. I don't believe anything I hear/read and only half of what I see.
The railroads used oil in their batteries for YEARS. Plus my almost 8 years of positive experience isn't enough for you.

Too bad, you'll miss a lot of good things in life.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #46

Oh, I believe what I hear about the oil, it's just everything in advertisements; things like "new and improved", "the best widget ever", etc.

Got two 16oz bottles of oil sitting on the counter, just waiting till I bring the MH home from the hospital.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Years ago someone told us to put an aspirin in each cell. Didn't work at all.
I'm going to try the mineral oil. Sounds good to me. My battery compartment looks like a war zone, anything is an improvement.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last week I replaced my "no maintenance" starting batteries. Saturday I put in four Interstate U-2200's. No mineral oil in them yet, but as soon as I get to Wal*Mart I'll get some.

The starting batteries were DEAD, even after 2 hours on a 60 amp charger they wouldn't start the engine. Whille there I looked closer at the house batteries and found that they were bulging. Since we're headed out soon I decided to replace them in my sideyard rather than in some parking lot someplace. Didn't get a great deal at 113.95 but I guess it's OK. MSRP is 138.95 and List is 169.95. Naturally they use the list for warranty claims!!

Tags
battery