Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #15

There are TWO size fill valves
LARGE which has 1 1/4" NPT threads to screw into tank
Standard which has 3/4" NPT threads to screw into tank

Regardless------BOTH have the SAME 1 3/4" ACME threads to connect supply hose to.

those 'propane' places only had adapters for the standard propane cylinders.....POL or ACME (1 5/16")

there is an adapter that has 1 3/4" NPT threads to screw onto your Fill Valve and the standard propane Cylinder ACME 1 5/16" threads to connect fill hose to
https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/pr...lling-adapter/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
there is an adapter that has 1 3/4" NPT threads to screw onto your Fill Valve and the standard propane Cylinder ACME 1 5/16" threads to connect fill hose to
https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/pr...lling-adapter/
Your link to the adapter describes it as having a female 1 3/4" ACME thread and a 1 5/16" ACME male thread. Did you mean to type a 1 3/4" ACME thread instead of a 1 3/4" NPT thread?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Your link to the adapter describes it as having a female 1 3/4" ACME thread and a 1 5/16" ACME male thread. Did you mean to type a 1 3/4" ACME thread instead of a 1 3/4" NPT thread?

YES....
Adapter has ACME threads both ends
1 3/4" Female to go on Tank Fill Valve and 1 5/16" male for supply hose connection
Old 11-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #18

Thanks for these replies, I will check out the adapter, in case I find myself in this situation again.

p.s. the place where I did finally end up getting the tank filled in Springerville AZ was High Country Propane, a residential propane supplier. Though for some reason they felt the need to surround their propane fill station with concrete barriers, so that the hose would barely reach my coach. I had to reposition 3 times to find a spot where I was close enough for the hose to reach, yet far enough away to let the propane compartment cover open (top hinged door) without hitting their barriers.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #19

I would imagine the concrete barriers is to STOP someone from running into the pump station and/or large propane tank ........BOOM!

THEY have the ability to back their trucks right up to area.

Motorhomes are NOT their bread/butter clients

Glad you got filled up..next time you will have a better handle on manuvering into position
Old 11-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #20

This was at the smaller fill pump tank, by their building, not the big tanks out back where their trucks likely fill up. It seems to me that they would have installed a longer hose, instead of one that barely reaches past the barrier. When I was there I was in line to get a fill between 2 sets of people getting a number 20-30 pound tanks filled. I think the guy in front of me had 3 and the guy behind me had 8 or 10, this was the day after a 17F low, with colder weather on the way the next night.

The local propane place I normally use has their fill station in a fenced off area, but at least their hose is long enough to reach at least 10 feet past the edge of the fence, I say at least as it always has more on the spool when I get my tank filled there.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #21

I have filled my 40 gallon ASME tank at dozens of Tractor Supply Co. stores. I have encountered only one who didn't have the proper adapter and one whose hose was too short.
Farmers, forklift operators and weekend grillers, not RVers, are their usual propane customers. If you are visiting one for the first time it might be wise to call them and ask if they have a 15' or longer hose, a proper adapter and a trained and certified employee on duty before going out of your way to get there. I also ask the price.
The tanks are usually behind locked chain link gates near one front of the store. I usually check out the location of the tank on satellite view then ask if they want me to drive through the back gate or back through the front gate to the tank.
I save time and avoid having to park the coach and walk into the store by calling from the parking lot to tell them I'm there. While waiting for an employee to come out to unlock and open the gate I shut off the furnaces, the refrigerator, the hot water heater, the range top and the oven.
When I have the coach in position I tell them to let me open the compartment door because it is designed for firefighters to be able to open it easily so it can easily fall off the hinge and damage the door or the coach.
After clearing the coach of humans and pets I get out, open the door, open the main valve and then hold the door up because they always raise up bumping the door and dislodge it from the hinge in spite of the explanation I just gave them. When they are finished I open the main valve slowly myself.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181205_163107851.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	267091
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #22

I've never encountered a short hose problem. But I did run into one inapt technician who was having trouble getting a good seal with the fitting. After trying and trying this young boy ( they all look young to me now) disconnected the hose from the coach and before I could say anything he stuck his finger into the coach filler port and pushed on the one way valve plunger. Gas escaped and froze his finger! He cussed like a sailor and ran into the store screaming. The store manager came out and asked me what on earth happened. Turned out the young lad was not trained at filling propane tanks and was not supposed to be out there doing that.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #23

Just had a tank filled at Loves Travel Center.

Regular guy was fixing a flat so manager and new guy come out for a lesson.

The lesson was shut off tank valve, hook up hose, switch on pump and wait for it to stop.

The new guy asked the manager how they knew the tank was full. The manager said the pump could sense it and the meter will stop.

This is why OPD ( Overfill Protection Valves ) were mandated.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #24
NXR

Quote:
I have filled my 40 gallon ASME tank at dozens of Tractor Supply Co. stores.
Yup, $2.19 a gallon around here versus $3.45 at other places. They must not price check other locations very much around here.

Ray
Old 11-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Just had a tank filled at Loves Travel Center.

Regular guy was fixing a flat so manager and new guy come out for a lesson.

The lesson was shut off tank valve, hook up hose, switch on pump and wait for it to stop.

The new guy asked the manager how they knew the tank was full. The manager said the pump could sense it and the meter will stop.

This is why OPD ( Overfill Protection Valves ) were mandated.
I bought propane at a Pilot/Flying J ONCE. The employee, who I had to walk a long way to find and who took his own sweet time walking out to the big tank, was like your guy.
He professed to being trained and knew what he was doing because he had serviced "hundreds" of RVs before. He didn't know what the "bleeder valve" looked like or what it was to be used for. He pumped until the OPD shut the flow off.
I didn't know nearly as much then as I do now but I knew he was doing it wrong and I told him so.
You and Old-biscuit provided me a great education about propane dispensing equipment and safe dispensing procedures.
I haven't been back to a P/FJ since.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #26

It's scary out there.........
Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #27

Quote:
I bought propane at a Pilot/Flying J ONCE. The employee, who I had to walk a long way to find and who took his own sweet time walking out to the big tank, was like your guy.
He professed to being trained and knew what he was doing because he had serviced "hundreds" of RVs before. He didn't know what the "bleeder valve" looked like or what it was to be used for. He pumped until the OPD shut the flow off.
I didn't know nearly as much then as I do now but I knew he was doing it wrong and I told him so.
You and Old-biscuit provided me a great education about propane dispensing equipment and safe dispensing procedures.
I haven't been back to a P/FJ since.
Funny, my experience getting Propane at Flying J was exactly like yours. In addition, the propane tank was positioned so you had to drive through the fueling pump area backwards from the normal traffic flow that posted. It required one person to stop RV's coming into the RV lanes, and allow me to drive around the opposite direction to get propane. That one time experience taught me there must be a better place to get propane. That is when I found Tractor Supply and have used them ever since.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #28

Tractor Supply for me as well!
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, propane