Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

Motorhome propane fill issues

I just returned home from a month long trip through the south-western US, along the way I did a fair amount of dry camping in colder conditions (lowest temperature I saw was 17F one morning in Springerville, AZ). As such I ended up having to get my propane tank refilled a couple of times while on the road, instead of using my home town propane supplier that I normally use.

This is where I ran into a bit of difficulty, as several of the places I stopped, primarily gas stations with propane fill stations in their parking lots, did not have the correct size fitting to connect to my ASME motorhome tank, they would have 2 or 3 adapters and none would be large enough to fit the fill port on my tank.

So what I am wondering is, do you also have this problem, and if so do you carry your own fill adapter that will mate with one of these more common fitting sizes?

Ike
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

In 15 yrs with a class A I have never had an issue with propane refueling. We full time, and have been every where.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

Had a propane issue while extended staying (out of town job) at a site that required me to move my Storm for every refill. Each time I did was a bear to get back in to the spot for a number of reasons. Went on Amazon and found an adapter that bypassed the main tank and hooked up to a much easier to move (and refill / replace) 15 / 20 pound tank. Unless you want to carry your own fitting or adapter, that's a good alternate. And you'll have a back-up tank should you ever need one.
Jwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a gasket that should be in the receiver of your tank. If that gasket is missing the nozzle will screw on but vapor will escape.

Sometimes stations accidentally remove that gasket and you need to replace it.

I have had that happen to me and it looks like the nozzle will not fit and they think it's the wrong size.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

I also have an extend a stay, this is not what I am talking about, instead the issue was that I stopped at 2 or 3 gas stations that sold propane on my recent trip and they did not have a connector that would fit the fitting on my tank. Both times I was then able to go to a larger propane supplier and they did have an adapter and I was able to get the tank filled.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #6

I only ran into one place that didn't have the adaptor. The guy said they only fill portable tanks.

If they don't have the adaptor, they are probably not trained in filling chassis mounted tanks.

Although its a simple prosses, if thigs go wrong, you want a trained guy doing it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to only fill at campgrounds or dealerships, who are both used to filling MH's. Did run into the gasket thing once, but the CG owner remedied the problem.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #8

Best to look for RV dealerships, propane “stores”, perhaps hardware stores.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #9

Some larger U-Haul dealers have propane, and in my experience they are pretty well equipped.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #10

UHaul, Flying J and Loves are my go to propane filling places.

When your pulling a toad, you need drive thru service. A lot of places don't offer that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

My issue on this last trip was I was well away from civilization when I needed propane. I was in places like Springerville, AZ and Chama, NM, so no big truck stops, or U-haul dealerships to choose from.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
So what I am wondering is, do you also have this problem, and if so do you carry your own fill adapter that will mate with one of these more common fitting sizes?
I thought the fitting is the same as every home propane tank (250-1000 gallon) in the USA has to fill the tank. I have a propane filling station and it has that fitting which the truck connects to fill the tank and it is the same fitting on the end of my hose that I use to fill a motorhome or truck. I have an adapter that screws onto that to fill forklift tanks and another to fill the smaller 5-100 lb. bottles like a trailer, BBQ or spa uses.

The remote areas you mention surely are using propane for their homes, find a company that fills their tanks and Bob's your Uncle! I'm wondering if the places you tried have dummy proofed everything for the workers that actually show up to work.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I thought the fitting is the same as every home propane tank (250-1000 gallon) in the USA has to fill the tank. I have a propane filling station and it has that fitting which the truck connects to fill the tank and it is the same fitting on the end of my hose that I use to fill a motorhome or truck. I have an adapter that screws onto that to fill forklift tanks and another to fill the smaller 5-100 lb. bottles like a trailer, BBQ or spa uses.

The remote areas you mention surely are using propane for their homes, find a company that fills their tanks and Bob's your Uncle! I'm wondering if the places you tried have dummy proofed everything for the workers that actually show up to work.
I think you are right and something is wrong with the other supposed suzes
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #14

Ike, I have run into that problem once or twice, and I often thought about getting that fitting and carrying it with me. Those adapters take a beating being dragged as the 'technician' is winding the hose back up.

I normally fill my propane tank at Tractor Supply stores found all across the country because they have the easiest in and out and the cheapest prices. So far so good at "gassing up" there.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, propane