Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Motorhome propane tank makes high pitched noise. Why?

Ever since the last time I had it filled (last week) my propane tank has been emitting a high pitched whine noise. At first it seemed it was only when I was using propane in the coach and I could only hear it when I was outside but on further investigation, it's just louder when in use, it whines all the time. I tried adjusting the valve but the only way to make it stop whining is to shut the tank completely off. So I did. What could be making it do this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jane View Post
Ever since the last time I had it filled (last week) my propane tank has been emitting a high pitched whine noise. At first it seemed it was only when I was using propane in the coach and I could only hear it when I was outside but on further investigation, it's just louder when in use, it whines all the time. I tried adjusting the valve but the only way to make it stop whining is to shut the tank completely off. So I did. What could be making it do this?
Hi Gypsy.....Try shutting the gas off and burn off the gas in the line, then open the tank valve slowly, It has a shut off inside incase of rupture..but it sounds like the regulator valve is vibrating the diaphram inside... Maybe its too full, Lp tanks only fill to 80%...Maybe to much pressure, let some escape or better yet take it to the person who filled it and ask them....

Hope this helps
Richard

She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a bad regulator. Try rapping the regulator with a tool and see if this changes it. They are not rebuildable, so you will need to replace it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The whine is the valve inside the regulator opening and closing and opening and closing, This is normal, hearing it is not but some do.. The fact that it is all the time indicates you have some propane leak OR and I stress OR consumption all the time (pilot light perhaps)

You need to figure that out.

NOTE: Water systems do the same thing if there is a regulator.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #5

So get cigarette lighter and start tracing down the all of the lines and connections between the bottle and any outlets. Next..................
OK, just kidding guys....Don't really do that and don't shoot me!! Just couldn't help myself.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by She and I View Post
Hi Gypsy.....Try shutting the gas off and burn off the gas in the line, then open the tank valve slowly, It has a shut off inside incase of rupture..but it sounds like the regulator valve is vibrating the diaphram inside... Maybe its too full, Lp tanks only fill to 80%...Maybe to much pressure, let some escape or better yet take it to the person who filled it and ask them....

Hope this helps
Richard

Very close diagnosis. Close the valve as recommended and burn off the pressure. Then open the valve slowly as to not set off the excess flow valve inside the service valve assembly. This should correct the problem. If not it may have been overfilled and liquid propane is entering the valve instead of vapor.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

I tend to agree with those that are saying over full tank. If the tank is removable,take it a distance from ignition sources and crack it open to allow some to escape. Also make sure regulator vent is facing down.

Tags
motorhome, propane, tank