Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Dometic Freezer and Ice Maker are acting up! Error Code 'CALL ERR 13'

Hey All,
While I have been waiting for my dealer to get back to me......I thought I would ask you folks!
My Dometic in my 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X is having a problem... When I first turn on the unit either with Gas or Electric everything is great! The freezer is good, the Fridge is good, it makes ice and then after awhile I get a code that says (CALL ERR 13) and the freezer drops off and the ice starts to melt and no ice is made after the code pops up.
What is the issue here??
Thank You in Advance for your help!
Craig
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

Is the refrigerator reasonably level when this occurs?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very level! It is inside my building and the levelers are set.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig, it looks like ERR 13 is drain tube heater from this link (in the comments) Tech- Inside a Dometic NDA1402 one comment: Dealer went under, code 13 on NDA1402, have heater 3851411011... Google 'dometic CALL ERR 13'
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank You JRGREEN,
I went on there and I see there are alot of people with the same problem but, nobody answers them on how to do the repair.
It sounded common and I am hoping someone comes up with the actual repair.
Thanks Again,
Craig
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig, I googled 'Dometic CALL err 13' and these were some of the posts:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dometic Sidewise 14 Cu. Ft. 2-Way Refrigerator - code 13

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dome...-a-116846.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/domet...ode-86452.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/more...oes-36338.html

It sounds like the repair is a new drain heating element. If you are going to replace a part I would call Dometic and get the new part number (and part) mentioned in the posts above. It sounds like it's a known issue. Maybe the work around's above will be ok for you. I can't wait until I get to experience the problem. Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the heater go out on mine, er13. I let the repair center do the work. I watched. The ice maker has to be completely removed. Plus some screws that were pretty hard to get to. Not rocket science, but they had a lot of parts out of it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig, bummer, hope you get things chilling again soon. JRGreen nice looking coach.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Back at ya Huntnski
Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
JrGreen,
Thank You for all your research!! I am working on it this weekend and with your help I think I will be able to knock it out!
Love this forum....Great People, Great Help and Info, etc.
And it's nice to meet another 40X owner!!
Great looking Coach!
Thanks Again,
Craig
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good luck Craig. Let us know what you did and the results.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig, any update? Success? Hope so. What did you do?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Jrgreen,
I am still deciding what to do with this problem. I am guessing I will face it after my Missouri trip. Until then they said I should try running some warm water in the drain tube to free up the error. I am going to try that for now. :(
I will keep you up to date!
Thanks for all your help and leads. They were very helpful!
Craig
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Craig,

I'm in the middle of the exact same repair, and figured I'd share my progress so far..

Here's a shot of the heater that's the culprit behind error #13:

In the upper right corner, I've circled an area in red. That's the part that goes into the drain tube, and on mine it was folded up inside the tube which created a hot spot and burned it out. Stretching it out and zooming in:

To put it in perspective, here's my partially disassembled freezer compartment:

This is the top part of the freezer. I've removed the ice bin and the plastic plate that goes under it, as well as the zig-zag shaped trim piece to the upper right, and the two screws angled up at the bottom of the large plastic cover to the right.

The heater element is stuck to the bottom of the tray where it's circled in red. The wires run up the side and across the top behind the panel where it's circled in green, and plugs in to a junction box behind the ice maker where it's circled in blue. You can't see the junction box from this camera angle, but it's real easy to see in person (but not as easy to reach) and the cover is held in by one screw. There is a locking thumb latch on the narrow side of the plug to release the connector.

By removing the three screws on the upper trim piece, and the two screws at the bottom of the side piece, I was able free up the panel enough to pull out the wire and remove the heater (it's basically a large piece of adhesive tape with printed heat traces.) To put it back, I might have to pull that side piece. As 38 Special stated, I might end up pulling the ice maker to do that.

Here's a closeup of the area where the heater goes:

This is the bottom of the panel that is to the right of the ice maker. The drain pan is visible through the three large slots, and if you stick your finger through the slots and feel the bottom of the tray, you'll feel the heater element which lays in the bottom of the tray in the area circled in red. The tail of the heater (the part that burned out on mine) goes down through the drain hose. This is the tube that's currently disconnected in the back corner, which runs through the wall into the fridge side drain.

The tail of the heater is supposed to extend straight down this tube. From what I've read, it's quite common for the tail to get bunched up (like mind did) and overheat and burn out at the fold (like mine did.) So when putting it in, I will be extra careful to make sure it goes in straight and doesn't fold.

Just below this panel is the box that hold the freezer fan, with an air duct going up alongside this panel. I tried pulling this out so that I could drop the side panel down to get it out, but that was a dead end. It was a pain in the but, and didn't get me anywhere. So if you're tempted to do the same, be forewarned.

I'm currently searching for a source for the part. (It was during that search that I stumbled across this thread that references part number 3851411011.) Seems like the prices range from around $100 to $120. The best deal I found so far is at PPL Motorhomes, but it won't let me link directly to that page. Start at their parts page:RV Refrigerator Parts for Any RV Fridge - PPL Motor Homes. Enter the on-line parts catalog by clicking the blue button, then enter 3851411011 in the part number search field.

I'm off to check a few more sites then place the order. When it gets in I'll let you know how the installation went.

-- SS
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic