Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

My Horrible Comfort Control Thermostat

In my coach I have two roof top AC's (not heat-pumps), and a single LPG furnace. They are controlled (and I say that with a sarcastic smile) by a 4 button Comfort Control thermostat.

I've tried several suggestions I've read on these forums, to reset the system hoping to get more accurate control on the temperature in the coach. Nothing to date has worked. The temperature you enter for the zones seems to have no bearing on the actual temperature the units start and stop at. Seriously, depending on the time of day, the position of the sun, etc.. there could be anywhere from 3-6 degree difference between the thermostat reading, and the actual temperature in that space.

I have two independent digital thermometers that I keep in those two zones. They are far more accurate than the temperature sensors for the HVAC system. And, I actually have a third one I move from zone to zone to double check my other two digital thermometers.

So, here's my real question. Has anyone hacked the system, and used another manufacturer's digital thermostat to control the HVAC system? In my former brick and mortar home I had a digital thermostat that was amazing at keeping the house temperature accurate. In the coach, the connection from the thermostat to both ACs and the furnace is just a 4 wire RJ-11 modular plug, so it doesn't seem impossible to do using a telephone box as an intermediary. I'd be willing to give it a shot, but would love to hear from anyone else who made the attempt, especially if it was successful.

Positive suggestions are encouraged, and please be kind. Not all of us are as knowledgeable, or as smart as some of you think you are
thesoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #2

We've had two coaches with the digital 4 button CCC and found them satisfactory.

The 4 button Comfort Control thermostat senses temp from a thermistor mounted remotely in each zone. Are your digital thermometers in the same locations as the thermistors?

Are the thermistors mounted on interior walls or surfaces, VS. exterior surfaces which are effected by direct sunlight on the exterior of the coach.

There is a small finned spherical cover ( bottle cap sized) over the thermistors, insure that the aperture through the wall material is plugged w/ cotton ball, as to not allow air from the wall cavity space influence the reading.
Also insure there is adequate air flow and the vent registers are positioned correctly. Air filter is clean? Sometimes a small oscillating or box fan can help more evenly distribute stagnant areas.
Perhaps the A/C has reached it's rated capacity at that given point.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:43 AM   #3

Although only single AC, I replaced my thermostat with a digital one from Home Depot.

If you google Tstat change for RVs, someone must have found a better way for your system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:06 AM   #4

The short answer is no ... not hackable. Dometic does not claim perfect (or near perfect) accuracy. With 2 rooftop units you could have 2 remote sensors (or not). Look for golf ball sized sensors on your walls at about 5 feet off the floor. It is also possible that the front A/C is using the sensor in the thermostat. The usual "fix" is to note the difference between your thermostat set point and the actual room temperature and make a cheat sheet. As long as you can get the room comfortable it's not worth bothering to with more elaborate changes.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

Yes, zone 1, the front of the motor home uses the sensor on the thermostat board, and the rear zone (2) has a sensor in the back corner, as described.

Making a cheat sheet would be fine if the differences between what the thermostat read, and what the actual temperatures in the zone were always consistently different, but they're not. Hence my frustration. One time I have to leave the back zone at 86 to keep it from going below 78, and later that evening I have to bring it back down to 78 to make it comfortable in there.

And, don't even get me started about the furnace differential. It's at least 6-8 degrees, again depending on the time of day, and the ambient temperature outside.

It may seem trivial, but it's frustrating playing chess with a thermostat, trying to get a comfortable atmosphere in the motor home. I intend to keep on pursuing the solution to this problem.

Thanks for your posts.
thesoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat