Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might not be doing your batteries a good charge by stopping when the charging voltage reaches 13.6 volts. You might not be reaching an absorption voltage, you've only bulk charged the batteries. There is some really good information in this article about the proper care and feeding of 12 volt energy systems.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Quote:
The life of your batteries will be longer and happier if you charge them correctly. The best chargers on the market are 3-stage chargers. Use of a good quality 3 stage charger will significantly improve your battery's performance and lifespan. These chargers can be purchased separately or are included as part of many of the better quality inverters. When using a 3 stage charger, battery charging takes place in 3 basic stages: Bulk, Absorption, and Float.

Bulk Charge - The first stage of 3-stage battery charging. Current is sent to batteries at the maximum safe rate they will accept until voltage rises to near (80-90%) full charge level. Voltages at this stage typically range from 10.5 volts to 15 volts. There is no "correct" voltage for bulk charging, but there may be limits on the maximum current that the battery and/or wiring can take.

Absorption Charge: The 2nd stage of 3-stage battery charging. Voltage remains constant and current gradually tapers off as internal resistance increases during charging. It is during this stage that the charger puts out maximum voltage. Voltages at this stage are typically around 14.2 to 15.5 volts.

Float Charge: The 3rd stage of 3-stage battery charging. After batteries reach full charge, charging voltage is reduced to a lower level (typically 12.8 to 13.2 volts) to reduce gassing and prolong battery life. This is often referred to as a maintenance or trickle charge, since it's main purpose is to keep an already charged battery from discharging.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by karencollins View Post
Ok, Ran the generator again this evening. got it to 13.6 & as soon as I turned off the generator it dropped to about 12.4. after about 2 hours it's still at 12.2. Obviously, it wasn't the selonoid. any other thoughts.
I disagree. Your batteries are performing much better now that before the solenoid was replaced. The problem is they are not getting fully charged, no where near. Flooded batteries need to be charged up until the voltage reaches in the neighbourhood of 14.5v (not 13.6v) AND then held at this voltage for a few hours. Then your charger will switch to a float charge. At this point your batteries are fully charged.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Everyone, Thank you so much for all the information. Thru your comments, I realized how smart most of you are when it comes to this stuff. Every time I come on this forum, I learn something.

Another thing I realized, is that it's really important to be very specific when I post on here. It makes it so much easier for those trying to help. So here's the deal. I did run the generator until the batteries were at float. The panel read 14. +. When I turned off the generator, they immediately read 13.6(+). for a couple seconds, then dropped to 12.4(+). I called Magnum Energy yesterday, who by the way, has great customer service. The guy there said, 12.4(+) was exactly where the batteries should be after I run the generator & reach float charge. I just never paid attention before. I just ran the generator to float, turned it off & walked away.

The bottom line is, all is good, I've learned a few things & I can walk away knowing they're operating correctly.

Again, I appreciate all your help & hope that somewhere down the line I can help someone else.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear all's well. I think we all learn a lots on this forum, I have and try to share some of that. I make it a practice to try to understand all important systems, power, water, etc. before problems occur. Otherwise you don;t really know what is normal. I also gather up all the owner's manuals and specs for as much of the equipment as I can and read through that stuff to better understand each system and piece of equipment.

One good web site for batteries is https://batteryuniversity.com/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #19
YC1

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...1nPMjMeB3PBBM:

To be clear on your 12.4 + comment. 12.4 is 80% However your + comment may mean that is close enough based on tolerances of meters and you may have loads on at that time. But indeed taking careful measurements is critical and I highly recommend taking pictures where you take those measurement and then print the pictures and put the measurements on the pictures. Put the pictures in sheet protectors and put in a binder or put in the battery compartment. No sense is trying to remember 6 months down the road what you were getting. Good readings when things are working are critical when things go bad.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery