Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon
Clifftall,

I have not installed an inverter and as of now have no plans to do so. When traveling, we run the generator for 20 minutes during our lunch stop and our Maytag cools back down very swiftly. Usually It will only get a 2-4 degree temp rise when traveling, which means we are in the 39-40 degree range by the time we stop for lunch. Our NotSoCold (yeah I like that term so I borrowed it- thanks Dr4Film) would start at about 39-40 and be up to 45-46 (sometimes up to 48-50) by lunch-and it was running!! If it's warm enough outside that we are running the house air, then the fridge is running anyhow so it's not an issue.
Thanks Brigadoon. That's what I figured and was counting on.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #30

Unfortunately we just had to make this decision after our Norcold 1200LR failed (ammonia leak) a few weeks ago. This was the second Norcold cooling unit in our fridge. We also weren't sure to go Amish or residential, but we definitely weren't going with another Norcold! We are full-timers and do a good bit of boon-docking. Also because of the location we are currently, not know/trusting a local shop to remove a front windshield or side window in our coach to install the residential, and reading good things about the Amish unit's, we decided to order and attempt to install the Amish CU ourselves.

So last Sunday we finished the change-out. Here is our YouTube video if interested: http://youtu.be/WdzNbQz0_Yc?hd=1

Only time will tell on the new Amish CU but it does appear to be very
well made and a totally different design than of the Norcold. 5 year warranty with option to extend to 10. We already feel much better now that the OEM CU is gone. Oh and the fridge is now nice and COLD (was 88 here in Tucson yesterday)!

Hope this helps,
Robert & Shelly
2000 American Dream 40 DS
RobertShelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well, we bit the bullet and ordered the Amish cooling unit today for our Norcold 1200LRIM fridge. I decided to go ahead and get the new fans and heaters with it. I will be installing it with help from a friend. The Norcold recall will be installed on the fridge next wednesday. I will be moving the recall equipment to the Amish unit when I get it installed. I know that there has not been a problem with the Amish units, but I feel that you can't have too much protection! Wish me luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just bought a MH with the Norcold 1200LRIM fridge in it. Someone had done the latest recall but then it was removed. I need to decide whether to have the recall done or to replace the entire cooling unit with one of the Amish-built units. I read on one thread about someone that had bought the Amish unit and replaced it twice, finally going to a residential fridge. I definitely do not want to go to a residential fridge. Has anyone else had trouble with the Amish cooling units? It is my understanding that the latest recall will cut off the fridge before it can catch fire, but that there have been many problems with the recalls going bad. I really need help on making this decision. I am anxious to start using my MH but don't want to until this problem is solved. Thank you for your opinions!
I replaced ours with an Amish unit. No problems so far but it's only been a year so far.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
They tell me that the recall will shut down the fridge and prevent a fire if the fridge overheats.
That's exactly what it did with ours. Went out and found the refer and freezer warm and the food spoiled. Tried it on gas and it started to cool down, then it quit on gas also. Opened the back and found yellow powder around the burner so it was definately a leak and the recall equipment worked.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Well said, Dr4Film. If price or fit is the only consideration, then the answer should be an Amish cooler. But if not, then a res-unit should be closely considered.

Several have asked how long a res-unit will stay cool if powered-off. It can be easily simulated by turning off one's home-unit and monitoring the temperatures inside. Open/close it as would be done on a typical trip and then check temps. From what I can determine, the res-unit has better insulation than the NotCold, and will therefore stay colder much longer... not to mention being able to start out colder before the test as well as being able to cool-down a LOT faster (like just an hour or two) after the test.

The is also some concern about power-usage. My Samsung uses less than 3 amps when running, and only a 11-12 amp surge for the brief (less than 5 seconds) start-up period. Most inverters should be able to handle that. And even if not, it should stay cold during the day when driving to the next site and re-started.

The only reason I put up with the 1200 through 4 replacements in 6 years (!!) was because they were under warranty. Like others, I babied and sweet-talked and yelled at those old ones to keep 'em going. I had extra temp-sensors, fans, opened the door a little as possible, always tried to park the coach with that side in the shade, and so on.

But when their warranty ran-out and I pulled my 4th and final replacement NotCold to install the Samsung, I found the whole vent-stack insulation charred, as well as charring on the wood around the rear of the old frig. And this all had happened AFTER the co-called recall-fixes (which in themselves are a joke. How many times will they need to correct a defect to get the initial defect corrected properly?) had been implemented. I have pics of each progressive NotCold re-installation, and there was no evidence of heat/fire damage until the most recent work on it. To find charred fiberglas insulation and wood when I and my family was SUPPOSED to have been protected from just that? I was scared, to say the least.

HTH
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold