Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need some help from an old AC guy

Problem is simple. I need new caps for my front coleman/rvp 13.5k unit. Tried looking up the correct cap numbers but can't seem to find them by model number. Front is model#7633B8766 If you have the micro farads and voltage specs that would be nice too!

My rear unit is a coleman/rvp 11k unit. model # 7632B8764, figure when I replace the fronts, might as well do the rears too but haven't been able to find an model application chart for the caps for these AC units.

When the rear one is running I can hear the front compressor struggling to start and when running the fan rpm varries slightly, so suspect the fan motor run cap too.

don't worry, since I'm a experienced in AC I know to short the old ones with my tongue to discharge them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

if you are talking about run capacitors (silver metal) then use 4.5 mfds for the fan and 10 mfds on the compressor. they may be combined into one can with three terminals.
they should be labeled .

kill power and bleed off charge.
run caps have small bite compared
to black plastic start caps .

been there and have the t shirt.
TJ
thunderjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The caps should be marked clearly both value and voltage. If combined, yuo can get individual ones if there's space for them.

Make sure your tongue is very wet with spit when shorting the caps out, otherwise it takes longer to discharge them. (And please shoot a video of the discharge, too!)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:55 PM   #4

Start and run capacitors rarely go bad.Back in the 1960's I replaced them frequently but when I was retiring in 1999 rarely . I did however generally replace them when changing a motor or compressor as the new units very often required a different microfarad. The classic GMC Motorhome I recently sold had the original 40 year old capacitors in the 2 a/c units. What you are describing sounds like a possible low voltage condition. You might check the voltage at the compressor when it is starting. Also some manufacturers no longer use a start capacitor on the compressor. You could try a hard start kit on the compressor if this is the case.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #5

Roy1. They don't make capacitors like they use to. 6 to 8 yrs and they are done. On a house it's like 4 to 5. " made in Mexico". Now !!!!!
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #6

Guess I can't comment on the new run of capacitors as I am out of the loop for 17 years but they have been made in Mexico for some time even when I was in the trade. I do know a number of repair folks anymore like to check capacitors and replace them if their meter says they are a little out of specs even though it wouldn't matter in most cases they are just looking for a little extra work. Generally when a run or start capacitor would go bad it would bulge out of shape and short out or it would be open circuited. A minor change of microfarads generally shouldn't matter much. How are these newer capacitors going bad?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I still haven't been able to find replacements numbers on these things by the application. Any suggestion as where to look? This a new "used" coach to me and I've learned over the last 45 years or so not to trust parts that were not installed by me. Other folks "yeah that'll work" installed parts usually costs me big $$ in the long run. When I called coleman they hung up on me????
Old 06-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe a Hard Start Kit is what it needs.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

You don't need to replace capacitors by part numbers. If the motor or compressor requires a certain microfarad capacitor say 10 microfarad @ 370 working volts any 10 mfd at 370 or 440 will suffice as long as it fits the space. I never in 40 years got capacitors by the part number just the mfd and working volts any a/c parts house like johnstone or grangers should have them or you can find them online. Buying by a manufactures part number will just cost a bunch more money. Some capacitors are 2 in one and a little harder to find if need be 2 separate capacitors can replace them or one close to the same rating but slightly higher mfd.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well I just had to replace a compressor start kit on one of my 2008 AC units. I had to open the top cover to access the unit. After checking the "caps" I found one was burnt. It turned out to be the compressor start kit. I got the AC model number from the units label and went to the manufactures website to find the correct part number. I ordered it from a RV parts supplier and received it 4 days later. Total cost with shipping just under $30. It's a 43-53 micro farad 250 volt start kit. It turns out there are many different compressor start kits so you will have to do some checking to be sure to find the correct unit. Good luck and be sure to discharge them before getting to close.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, here is the problem, I recently purchased this moho. In the past I've run into problems with just replacing parts from existing part numbers, later to find out that they were the wrong parts in the first place, and the wrong parts were what was causing the problem in the first place.

So I called Coleman/RVP again. Went through their phone menu and went to the technician option. Got this young women who looked up the numbers, by the application, they were the same caps for front and back.

Thanks roy1 I appreciate your advice, there were 3 caps one fan and one compressor and one compressor add on hard start. The numbers rang true with exactly what you said. Guess you are not loosing the touch! Sadly they were made in china and a bit more pricy than I expected.

Coleman RV A/C Hard Start Kit 8333A9021
Coleman 1499-5671 1499-567 Run Capacitor 30 mfd Camper RV Air Conditioner compressor
Coleman 1499-5461 1499-546 Run Capacitor 7.5 mfd Camper RV Air Conditioner Fan

Total cost for 2 sets was $122. yeah, ouch!!! not cheap.... and I looked around. Best price was on the net. These were not the Coleman brand but the right part number and micro farads.

Both AC's start and don't grumble anymore when the compressor starts up!

Thanks again for all the advice fellas!!!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Had the same issue on my 21 year old AC. Huge voltage drop on starting my single Mach 15. Turns out the bad start cap was the wrong part. Had the AC model number and old start cap but the Coleman parts manual listed another number for the start. Got the number recommend by Coleman and also a new run cap; $40 for both from Camping World. Works like new again. Guess you cannot trust previous repairs...
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, so a couple of days at 120 degree weather and the front ac unit started grumbling again. Front table vibrating, dishes rattling and floor soothing to my old feet. So, decided to replace the front unit with a brandy new one. Decided to replace the original with the same size. 13.5k unit so the control box would cross over. But... I had forgotten that they changed plenum designs so I had to wait a week for the new plenum so I could install it. All together it was $750. OUCH Mounted the bolts through a piece of wood while I waited for the new designed plenum to show up. Compressor was the culprit in the old one. New one is smooth, 1/2 the noise, and doesn't dim the lights when it starts up. Now I have a set of new caps for the old unit and a back up for the rear unit. Oh, well such is life.....